Transfercase oil check

how do we check trans case oil level …and add which fluid…5 pd manual…2002

Name please,
The oil is intended to be filled for life.
I would not be too worried about it.

Walter

I would worry about it, esp if your cooling duct is missing from underneath…the oil then vapourizes and the gears are destroyed…big bill…Art 604 465 7244....silver007@telus.net

Definitely worry about the oil in the transfer case. There isn’t a bunch in there. If you do a Google search, you will find the volume and spec. If you go to your local Ford dealer, they will have the fluid spec in their book, and likely, the fluid in stock. If you can’t get it at your Ford dealer, you will be able to get it from a BMW dealer. There is a drain plug and a fill plug. The fill plug is at the left side , ahead of the rear drive shaft flange.

These newer cars that have fluid levels that are: ‘sealed for life’ are not really designed for lifelong ownership. It seems that they only plan on the average owner keeping their car for about 50k miles, then selling it. If you now have a car that is 15 years old, and about 100k miles, you should check the diff and transmission oils, and change the transfer case oil

You will have problems refilling the transfer case as the correct fluid
level is above the filling plug . Sounds crazy but there it is. So, I
bought a kit from a chap I contacted through J-L who makes a kit to do
this properly, complete with a one-way valve adapter that screws into
the fill-plug hole. This plus a measured hand-pump device completes the
pack. Easy to use, was done & finished in about 45m. Cost about USD100
Now, this was a few years ago so someone may remember the chap I’m
talking about. But if not, get back to me and I’ll look through my
garage for the kit.

Cheers
Fazal
2001 X-type, 3.0 AWD
1982 XJ6 S3, 4.2

call me and I will tell you exactly how to do it…Art…1 604 465 7244…or skype me at … artjagv1260