Transmission cooler for jaguar xjs th400

Is any one can please help me with trans oil cooler, what I should put in ? How many row or just a standard pipe one ?
Thank you

If its an Auto it already has one

Thank you for reply
I don’t have any, just using one side of radiator:)

I am not sure how you just use one side of the radiator.?

Partitioned off on right hand side for the auto trans fluid.
A separate cooler in front of the radiator for engine oil

When I converted to a single pass rad. I would think it would be fine with stock rad.

1 Like

Heat is your enemy.
I have always recommended a transmission cooler especially for those living in hot climates. I located mine in the lower grill, so as not to impede the airflow into the radiator. In addition it’s physically mounted on the lower grill; away from the engine oil cooler to ensure adequate airflow to the engine oil cooler is maintained. The connection sequence should be. From transmission to the radiator cooler, then to the external cooler then back to transmission.

https://bernardembden.com/xjs/transcool/index.htm

In addition I moved the power steering cooler to the front of the lower grill, beside the transmission cooler because I believe the location of the power steering cooler acted as more of a heat collector than a cooler.

https://bernardembden.com/xjs/movecooler/index.htm

2 Likes

Perhaps the cooler from an XJ car. I was impressed. As a supplemental cooler. My lump has an in the radiaror cooler as is customary in USA cars. A bulb in the passenger side of the radiator. ATF is pump through it. Adequate for ordinary useage.

On my Fq50 ad Scout Ii, I added after market coolers. I towed with them on occasion.

Carl

Man you are legend thank you for reply and photos. :+1:t4:

That’s a pretty good description of Bernard!

2 Likes

And I have learnt something, good luck Sergey.

Same to you Bob :wink:
Legend

thank you Bruce :wink:
cheers

Good day Bernard just wondering the bottom line of trans is the outlet to the bottom line of radiator then from top of radiator to external cooler then back to transmission? and dose it matter top or bottom external cooler.
and want to ask , if i put outlet from trans to external cooler then go to radiator then trans? to keep radiator cooler ? :slight_smile:

Sergey
IMHO the connections should be.
From transmission to bottom of radiator cooler. Then from top of radiator cooler to bottom of external cooler. From top of external cooler back to transmission. Why to the radiator cooler first? Because the radiator’s liquid contact cooler is vastly more efficient than the external air contact cooler. In addition, connecting to the bottom of the coolers forces the transmission liquid up the coolers, which tend to fill the cooler pipes more effectively.

thank you for reply
so from trans BOTTOM to radiator BOTTOM?
I’m sorry, you must misunderstood me) i mean if i put from gearbox to external cooler first then from external cooler to radiator then back to gearbox. I thought maybe it will be cooler for radiator ?

After my experience with greatly reducing coolant temps by going to the manual transmission, this is how I would set up an auto trans cooler. Get rid of as much of the heat as you can before the radiator.

Also with a greater temperature difference the external cooler will dissipate more heat.

2 Likes

Sergey
quote/
so from trans BOTTOM to radiator BOTTOM?
I’m sorry, you must misunderstood me) i mean if i put from gearbox to external cooler first then from external cooler to radiator then back to gearbox. I thought maybe it will be cooler for radiator /unquote

I usually don’t worry about the locations at the transmission itself.

I start at the top connection of the radiator cooler. Disconnect that connection and connect from top of transmission cooler to bottom of external cooler. From top of external cooler back to transmission connection.

Connecting to the external cooler first and then the radiator cooler will not get you the maximum cooling effect.

External cooler should be after the radiator cooler. This returns the coolest fluid back to the transmission.

If the external cooler is placed before the transmission cooler, then in a hot radiator coolant condition, the radiator cooler, exposed to the hot radiator coolant, can actually reverse whatever cooling that was accomplished by the external cooler.

Connected properly, after the radiator cooler, the external cooler will always return the transmission fluid back to the transmission is the coolest state.

Hope this helps

How hot does the transmission fluid get ?