Transmission fault light/reading computer

Heck I’m just a poor white boy I’m thinking about doing the job myself I can get solenoids for about $200 $250 so it probably be cheaper for me to just Jack it up and do it myself it’s not like I can’t do it myself I just don’t want to I’m getting old and I want to watch somebody else do it for me. But not for twelve hundred dollars

I just have a driveway, and no garage.

Let me know where you find the solenoids from….

I figured I was gonna have to pay at least 1.5 hours for them to remove the valve body, if they would be willing to sell it to me at all!

As I mentioned, the solenoids seem to bench test well. It could require taking the valve body apart and cleaning it up, replacing the plastic ball check valves, or springs.

It could be a solenoid….it could also be a Pandoras Box. I took the old valve body with the intent to refurbish it….maybe I still will some day.

That’s what the shop was trying to tell me. Take a chance and replace the solenoid, hoping that’s the problem, or for about the same price, just swap valve bodies.

Yeah no I’m tired of making the rich man richer I went on eBay and found valve bodies solenoids of the whole nine yards cheap you can even get used solenoids on eBay and I have plenty of cardboard I’d rather do it in my dirt driveway then pay somebody exorbitant amount of money to change it and I think that the only thing to drop the valve body after you take the pan off is take out five bolts maybe six and two electrical connections and you can drop the wiring harness valve body and all at one time.

I see the one for $350/shipped! I would probably have bought that and done it myself had that been available at the time. Unfortunately, I could not track down a valve body at the time.

It does seem very straightforward. Would probably have taken me the day, working slowly, but I do love that kinda stuff. The car is my daily driver, so I did not have the time to wait for something to pop up.

Let us know how it goes!

Isn’t that just the way it goes. I have to get done doing all the honeydew things first so I can go play with the car even though it is her car!

Awww people, it’s not that simple - you can’t just swap solenoids and expect to have good results with it. Same as (Vee) you cannot check solenoids with 12v current and diagnose it by the “click” sound it gives ( you can actually mess it up that way with high accuracy of success). You have check balls that are being worn, you have steel valves that are causing wear of the aluminium block, you have possible compression springs collapsed, plenty, plenty of stuff.

Martin, start from oil change (triple). That’s easy and doable without any effort (you don’t even need to lift the car. Then you can go into the rocket science…

You know something says you’re right because it wouldn’t shift at all I don’t think if the solenoid was bad it’s just like it’s in sport mode and that tells me that something is sticking I think you’re right but that’s also why it’s called a forum everybody has their own opinion and that’s cool I like that.

What happened with mine is that it would go into limp mode and just give me 2nd (or 3rd?) gear. At first it would reset with a simple restart of the engine, but then that stopped solving the problem. That’s not the transmission not changing gears because it can’t, it’s because once the failure is detected, it goes into limp mode.

I am aware of the plastic balls, springs and gasket. I have collected those parts, I just haven’t made the time to start taking everything very carefully apart.

Hey do you remember where you picked up those plastic balls springs and gaskets

The check balls are common and available in the US almost everywhere. Gaskets for valve block can be reused, alternatvely you may be forced to buy the gasket set for the entire gearbox… Hard to find in my place, there are plenty of valve block models, not many gaskets on the market. Same with the springs, usually you need to match it… (hey! You’ve got McMaster in US) 4hp24 has plenty of parts from 4hp22. Your tranny was also used in BMW and LandRover.

hey all you Jaguar Nuts I did the deed and bought the used trans for $380 shipped got it in 2 days put the car up on stands and the used trans on the motor stand and went to work I took my time and used my white marker but 2 days later and 1 valve body change later new fluid and filter + gasket and she she shifts like a good little girl scout + I’m goiing get replacement solenoids and rebuild the valve body that came out of the car and put it up in storage and have a good used transmission if or when this one takes a dump. I do thank all you people for your knowledge and insight into helping me resolve this matter so cheep under $600 bucks+ got a little shut eye under the car out in my shop! got to love it right

Thankyou very much for all your HELP
papaamartin

Thanks for coming back to share.
Please let me know where you sourced the solenoids. I’d like to rebuild the valve body that came out of my car as well.