Transmission Hose

Would anyone know the size of the transmission hose that exits the lower right side of the radiator on a 85 XJ6? Mine has a pin size hole. I can remove it to get the size, but it would be helpful to get the right one without first removing mine.

Thanks!

Richard

I used ordinary fuel hose for my test stand. The original was much thicker hose. Be careful as the connectors are soldered in. Change both sides.

The transmission oil cooler hose?

Richard,
There are no transmission hoses going to the radiator in a stock Series III XJ6. The V12 cars, like our XJ-S convertible and V12 Vanden Plas, have a transmission fluid heat exchanger integrated into the radiator. Perhaps you are asking about the hoses going to the Water Pipe (CAC5143)? Please post a picture of what you are asking about.
BTW there is rubber hose available at any auto parts store that are specifically formulated for transmission fluid use. It costs a little more than coolant or fuel hose but it is the correct hose for the chemistry and temperatures of transmission fluid. I usually get mine at NAPA Auto Parts here in the USA.

Paul

The hoses to the tube below the radiator is very likely what he wants and the correct hose is definitely what he wants.

David…You are correct. I had to replace the lower rubber hose. It was 5/16". Extremely simple! Appreciate all the help!

Richard

I think this is what happens when you don’t use hose specifically formulated for hot transmission oil. I’m guessing this is one of the main culprits behind an unusually grimy engine at only 40k miles. Slowly oozing transmission oil and it getting blown and splattered about.

1 Like