Transmission locked in 2nd gear

I own a 2003 XKR. I was descending from a hill in fairly heavy highway traffic and decided that rather than using the brakes on and off, I’d select a gear manually and let the engine do the braking for me. At one point, I got down to 2nd gear, however, when the traffic started to move along faster, I went to take it out of 2nd and the selector wouldn’t budge. Fortunately, at the bottom of the hill was a garage. No matter what we tried, the selector wouldn’t budge. The key was eventually removed by disconnecting the battery for a few seconds. So I’m left with a situation of having the gear selector at 2, a key that will insert (thankfully), but of course won’t start because the gear selector is at 2! The rear wheels are not locked up - the car will move freely with a bit of grunting! Any ideas??

There is a procedure in the owners manual for unlocking the ignition so you can start.

Thanks, Grahame, for the quick response.

I did look for anything I could find in the owner’s manual before posting my tale of woe.

Any literature that I have come across refers to the gear shifter being stuck in Park. Mine is in 2 gear!

The car is at the local Jag dealer, so we’ll see what they come up with, besides the usual big bill!

Thanks and cheers,

Bob

Hopefully it is not an expensive fix. I avoid downshifting with the stick to save wear and tear on the clutches. It’s cheaper to replace brake pads than rebuild tranys.

2 Likes

My XKR has an automatic transmission!

Bob

There are clutch bands in automatic transmissions. I think thats what he was talking about. General thought process is its “less wear” on an automatic to let it shift when it wants vs holding it in gear

1 Like

Sorry. I thought you realized that is what I was talking about. Had an experience with my X300, where I was using the J Gate to up and down shift, until the trany started slipping. Since then I have been much more gentle on my auto-boxes. If I want to do any boy-racer driving, I’ll get an MGB.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, Jason.

Cheers,

Bob

1 Like

Problem solved! For information of those that might have this problem, here it is;

1 Like