Transmission oil change 2003 XJ 3.5L V8

I always get a bit confused with designation of the XJ series through the early 2000s.
So I will spell it out.
2003 year, VIN 34RG00689
According to my X350 pdf manual it has a ZF 6HP26 6 speed box.

The car has 145,000kM on the clock and generally gives little trouble.
I spend more time on my two XJ-Ss.
I have a hoist in my garage and a lot of tools.

Recently the XJ made a couple of harsh gear changes under moderate acceleration and flagged a transmission fault on the instrument cluster.
I know it is claimed that the oil is good for life, and maybe it is and maybe there are fairys at the bottom of the garden too.

I would feel happier to change the oil. Doing a forum search on the topic did not get me the full story.
This is a car in Australia so that might colour some of the replies to my questions:

1. Do you really need the special tool 307-452 to get the filler plug out ?
  2. The pdf manual says use Shell M1375.4. Is there an alternative ?
  3. Is it easy to get the pan off and change filters ?
    If so any suggestions where to get the parts apart from regular Jag dealers ?.

Just a comment on that pdf file. It is such a long winded document and not easy to zero in on the information needed to do anything. Seems to spend more effort telling you not to do stupid things like taking a road wheel off before jacking the car up first. Is it really aimed at morons ?

That tool looks like a hex bit on an extension bar with a 1/2”(?) drive

Need 6 - 7 litres for a proper change

But if not doing torque converter 4-5 would be enough

Lifeguard 6 Fluid is the proper stuff

Have a look to see if there are any cross members in the way of the gearbox bottom. If not, get a plastic sump/filter and it should be easy.

Metal sumps are prone to leaking.

Take care with removing the bolts if there are near an exhaust. Spray wd40 (or similar) into the top of the threaded hole. Bolts can break easily.

If removing the sump I would recommend changing the connector sleeve as it will leak at some point. They are called megatronics sleeve

examples

liquid moly 1800 as link above

Ravnol is popular

This link isn’t cheap, but an example

Smith & Allen

search for zf6hp if you want to buy things for your gearbox

Thanks for feedback.
Ebay Australia has kits for 6HP26 specified for locally made Fords.
Supplier says suits Range Rover, BMW and Jags.

First I will put the car up on the hoist and make sure I can get that filler plug out before spending A$400 on the kit.

So far have not seen any mention of the Megatronics connector sleeve.
Is this a special Jaguar item ?

The drain plug on the bottom is nothing special.
Just a large allen key.
It gets replaced with a new sump/filter

Its more important to get access to the level plug on the side. (don’t remove with the ENGINE OFF)

The connector sleeve is a standard ZF item. It can be seen in the links above

As it turned out one of the ballroom dance group we meet up with has a transmission shop. Too far away to take the car over there for a change, but he will get me the full kit of all items needed including the connector sleeve. He knows which suppliers have the best aftermarket sump covers etc.
Anyway, may thanks for the feedback.
Over the coming Xmas holiday will also tackle the rear pass door lock that does not ever lock. I can see some of the rubber gaiters over various suspension components are looking ragged, more for the “to do” list.