Transmission Tunnel Plug (grommet)

Trying to get a part number for the plug in the transmission tunnel, right side forward on a 1970 S2. The plug, grommet, is 2 3/8 inches in diameter and is to check the manual transmission fluid level. Looks like it was on later dates when they changed the fill plug from the left side to the right side of the transmission.

Deleted the post…

Welcome to the forum. BD.10821 is the Transmission Cover Plug for the Series 2. I assume that the same one was used when the hole moved from the L to the R, but I can’t be sure. If I were you, I’d call one of the usual suppliers and check (have them measure it) to be sure it’s the same size.

That was my response too, then I saw the measurement provided by one of the vendors:

https://www.terrysjag.com/product/E-TYPE-SER1-GROMMETS/BD10821.html

They state a diameter of 80mm or 3 5/32" which sounded about right for the ones on my car but is much larger than what George C indicated.

Have been curious why is there also a service hole on the right side of the transmission tunnel?

Angle drive access?.

1970 S2 FHC have three access holes on the transmission tunnel. 1 - left side where the manual transmission filler plug was originally. You can see on the transmission housing the casting mark for a drill point. However, no hole. 2 - at the right rear of the tunnel where one can service the u-joint grease fitting. 3 - towards the right front where the “new” filler plug is in the transmission casing. Jaguar also created an access point towards the right front of the tunnel to allow access to the bolts for the starter motor. Previously one had to pull the engine to get at those bolts to remove the starter. Similar problem with the old S1 studs to replace the water pump. S2 pumps uses bolts instead of studs to attach to the block.

1 Like

The service hole at the rear on the right (not the one the OP is discussing) is to access the grease fitting on the prop shaft front UJ. Several owners (including on of my S2) have extended that hole in a more or less “elegant” way forward in order to access the angle drive. In my case, “less” applies…

Amazing what a pair of snips can do in the hands of a blind mechanic:

Cleaned up a bit it is actually a useful access:

Finished with a cover plate and the original plug, it is almost presentable:

1 Like

I had fiberglassed over the right side as the previous owner had done similar to you and made an enormous access hole. I retained the same plug hole in left side however so that I can easily top the gearbox.