Trip planning in an I-Pace?

-Ouch-

Danger…

I have a “charge point” card. I used it once on the road to see what they charged for electricity.

From the gage I estimated I needed about 4.5 KWH to fill the batteries. They charged me for 7.x KWH at thirty some cents per KWH, which I calculated was a lot more than I would have paid for gasoline along the same distance on the highway.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Wait you have an EV? I wouldn’t have guessed that as it seems you have a poor view of them. Did you buy one on faith and become disillusioned over time?

Erica, I have a Chevy Volt. A hybrid. I can nurse about 40 miles out of a full “charge”. When I calculate the cost, it turns out to be quite measurably cheaper to run the car on gasoline than to “fill” it at home. And… it is even worse when you purchase electricity through a third party along the road.

This is because our elec. utility company is PG&E, and has close to the highest rates in the US. And, because of the fires and law suits against them, the cost is going up.

So, anyone who is considering it, I encourage them to carefully determine what it is going to cost over time.

LLoyd

“Prediction is very difficult, especially if it’s about the future.”

Physicist Niels Bohr

1 Like

Was just discussing with my wife about a new car for her. She likes the I Pace but the limited mileage is not going to work for us. All my other cars are 2 seaters , hers seats five. When family visits she puts on the miles. Utility rate with SDGE about .38 cents per kw, I produce about 60 to 95kws on solar per day and have a surplus that I may be paid .04 cents per kw. Some areas of So Cal have stopped issuing permits for charging hook ups. Where is all this electricity going to come from if EVs go main stream?
Keep in mind mileage goes down in cold climates and charging times go up. In parts of the country were coal is used to produce energy it may be counter productive to use EVs.
Glenn

An excellent point: it makes me a bit of an apostate to ecological types, but NPPs will have to be part of our transition away from so much fossil fuel use.

That said, I’m fairly sure that solar and other renewable power sources will get better and more widespread.

I don’t have experience with Charge-point yet, so I can’t comment on that, but the numbers I run for local operation of my new I-Pace are very similar to what I figured for my Chevy Volt (I still love it) in 2013. My rate for electricity here in the the Pacific NW is 0.091/KwH. My I-Pace, with less than 200 miles has an average electricity consumption of about 35KwH per 100 miles so far, although I expect my usage to be less - there was 140 miles of demonstration milage on the car which likely included some pedal-to-the-metal driving, but I’ll use that number for now. The electricity cost comes out to be 3.2 cents/mile. For gasoline at an average cost in Washington state of $3.29/gallon in an average passenger vehicle getting 25mpg, that equates to about 13 cents/mile. Simply looking at energy consumption from fuel, the Jaguar is 1/4th the cost of the average gasoline powered vehicle. Now I understand that the cost in California is different, but this works for me. I will add that there are a lot of reasons to like the I-Pace beyond the cost of fuel, my calculated savings somewhat trivial to the cost of the vehicle. Also, from what I can tell from on-line references, it’s pretty likely that supercharging is much more expensive than level 2, probably equivalent to buying gas. Just to keep the complaints in perspective, the cost of level 2 (240V) charging from Charge Point is $1.50/hour. If the charger is a 30 amp level 2, Lloyd would pay for about 1 hour worth of charging time.

The I-pace is comfortable for 4, and can carry 5. The range is inadequate for distance driving, but very comfortable for intermediate trips. An alternative for distance driving is required in my opinion, but I reserve final judgement until I get some experience. And here’s my car:

2 Likes

One of the markets (perhaps the prime market) for luxury EV’s are eco-conscious people with high incomes. And I’m guessing California is THE place to find that demographic. If it’s luxurious and prestigious enough, that market won’t care if the energy cost per mile is more than gasoline. No more vulgar fill-ups anyway, and no more nasty oil changes either.

Dave

I am all for that target market if there is a demand for it. In fact If I was still working I would consider an electric for my commuter vehicle. I do have a problem with government rebates/subsidies for the buyers of electric vehicles. If I want an electric car I should pay for it I should not expect someone else to be taxed to subsidize it. Love the look of the i pace.

1 Like

It’s interesting how the thread wanders away from trip planning in a mid-range EV. I am used to diversity of opinion, since I split my time between the Pacific Northwest and Mississippi, so I’ll follow the stream of thought one last time.

Concerning the cost of the I-Pace - the cost of my new Jag after dealer incentive and tax credit is only 5K higher than I had to pay for my heavy hauler Chevrolet pickup when someone totaled me out in 2016, that only because Chevy was offering a 6K discount for Volt owners that month. Look around whatever state you live in - these trucks are everywhere, as well as SUVs that are as expensive or marginally cheaper than the Jag. My local Jag dealer makes essentially nothing off the car.

As far as government incentives for technology, I grew up in central Florida during the race to the moon, and recognize from first-hand experience how encouragement of technology has changed out lives over the past 60 years. I’m much happier with my tax dollars going to help in finding out whether electric vehicles are the future than to many other projects that our government spends my contributions on, and as far as I can tell, we don’t yet have the answer to the question.

The combined capacities of all my collectable autos (that run) is 40+ quarts, and I don’t mind the labor of the oil changes, but I’m happy to have a vehicle that doesn’t require it, and I think absence of an oil-filled sump is good for the soil, water, and air that our children will inherit. However, I admit that one of the great advantages of oil in a British car is rustproofing.

So, If anyone has other insight into trip planning for mid-range EVs, Jag or otherwise, I am interested to learn from you.:smile:

2 Likes

I wonder if the day will come where the batteries in EV’s are simply changed out rather than charged while remaining in the vehicle? You drive into a “service station”, a Gomer Pyle removes your diminished battery and replaces it with a fully charged one and you are back on the road in the time it took for a potty break and a coke. Cost to you, about the same as a tank of gas. Gomer would then have your old battery charged and ready for another customer.
Phillip

This has been talked about a lot, Jag and Tesla included, but none have done it that I know of. The salespeople at my dealership knew nothing about it.

I saw a doco a while ago where a car rolled into a bay, the batteries were connected to the rest of the car via connectors that parted as the tub and all else was lifted off said batteries, then a replacement set moved under the car and the whole lot slotted back together…total time, about 10 mins.

As Coca-Cola has proved… you can always sell fizz… STYLE… really… beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess… Whatever turns your crank… or armature.

John… had it occurred to you that when everyone is driving electric that the local public utilities will become ‘new oil’ they will then be in a position to jack up the rates they charge you for electricity… and will have you over an armature! I’ll buy stock in the utilities… it’ll be a gold mine… while my oil shares will still be performing well.

In a pinch, I had always read back in the early days of EV’s (2010 :slight_smile:) RV parks were a potential source of charging power, since they often have 220v, 30-50 amp circuits for rent. Still would take some hours to charge up though.

Tesla did introduce a battery swap service, but dropped it soon after introduction. Apparently there were few takers, and you needed to make an appointment to get the swap. (hardly a quick change.) Musk covered his tracks by saying their Supercharger stations were enough.

That might be a solution, if the Jag can use them (with an adapter?) Some non-Tesla EV’s can.

Dave

But what do they charge (no pun intended) for an RV spot? Thirty to forty dollars a night?

Having recent experience in this…yes.

You can get less expensive, but they don’t have shore power.

Ron, Trying to stay on track…did you buy the car?
It is a wonderful and interesting adventure, I just hope Jaguar stays focused.
It might be one big PR move
gtjoey1314

Yes! That’s a photo of my car posted to this thread earlier. So far, it’s a dream, and I’m having a lot of fun with it, although figuring out all the computer settings and multiple profiles is a little challenging. I’ll be at the Western Washington ABFM with it this weekend if anyone is local to my area. I am also looking forward to getting together with a friend who has a T-bucket, blower sticking out the top, big meats on the back, dragster later this Summer - I think I can take him!

Well My dealer is saying have patience and maybe we can get a deal on the black one I tested for days…
MAYBE, If that works out, you want to do a run from Washington and MEET half way?
I come from New York?
Would be a neat story as we pioneer these things!
Keep it in mind…….
Anyone who doesn’t believe has to drive one.
Its coming.
Good luck with it and keep in touchIf I get it willpm you.
GTJOEY1314