TRIPLEX logos research - a bit of help needed

I have been researching the TRIPLEX logos on Jaguars for quite some time.

Here goes a fairly complete sheet with logos for different glass of the e-type.

As you can see, I am missing some of the logos, for example I do not have any ’64 glass logos for rear or side screens.

The side glass logos have varies quite a bit:

• The font evolved, especially on the TRIPLEX
  • The AS2 seemed to be placed on the bottom for ’63 glass, but only for the door windows
  • The door windows were printed in reverse (but always identical left & right)
  • From ’65 (’64?) onward additional markings were introduced
  • The size of the logos have varied
  • The mysterious dot in the middle of XXX popped up and went away – I have no idea what it meant.
  • The heart was of 2 or 3 designs varying by the shape of the S and the top.
  • The headlamp glass had extra dots between TRIPLEX and TOUGHENED.
  • The S (sheet) glass was mostly used for door windows while P (Plate) glass was mostly used for other side glass.
  • ’67 heated boot lid glass was made in AS1 quality!..

Other symbols explained:

• L – Laminated
  • T – Toughened, heat treated
  • P – Plate Glass
  • S – Sheet Glass
  • T – Toughened Glass
  • V – for vehicle use??
  • F – Float Glass, used since ’63 when float glass begun to be available
  • WF – Front windscreen quality – used since 65
  • AS1 or AS2, where AS stands for American Standard. AS1 means glass is with at least 70% transmission and can be used anywhere on a vehicle (by default used on the windshield), AS2 is used for side glass.
    designation: TP.GS.6 AGRÉÉ meaning certified, authorized.
    TP.GS. meaning “Transport Publique, Gestion de Securite” – the homologation body) and 6 is the homologation number. In ’66 the French homologation designation changed from the two line format to single line and now read: AG TPGS6.
  • M3 or M6 – Manufacturer codes, describing different models of glass – used since ‘65
  • French Homologation Designation, used since ’54. It consists of “AGRÉÉ” and the standard
  • D - German approval, introduced in ’67. It was a sine wave followed by letter D and a number. D90 was used on ‘60s Triplex glass.

The windscreen glass also varied, however to a lesser extent. There were fewer versions of it.
Windscreen logos from '68 onwards used a different design:

(it’s actually Aston Martin windscreen form '68 Q1, but I believe logo design changed for e-types as well.)

I need photos of the logos that are missing please - your help will be most appreciated. As you can see, I am missing most of the SUNDYM logos, '64 logos, some logos for '61, '66, '67-'69

Also, if your glass logo is different than specified by me for a particular year, please let me know.

Tadek

2 Likes

In case it helps any here are photos of side quarter window and windshield on my FHC built on Feb 19 1968.

David

1 Like

Perfect thanks so much - do you have the rear glass and the door glass logo by any chance?

Tadek

BTW, 67 glass is interesting, as the logo data was changed - new information was introduced with regard to the German standard.

ON the windscreen I know it occurred in Q4, however I am not sure about the side/rear glass.

Tadek

This is from a door window on my October 1967 build Series 1.5 OTS. I believe it is original.

Unfortunately the windshield had been replaced by a PO with a Duplate branded windshield. Looks pretty old though.

Many thanks! - it’s printed in reverse on the door glass, am I correct?

This is actually a '64 Q1 glass, not from your car originally, I would say…

How about the rear quarter windows? The boot lid (rear glass)?

Tadek

Interesting that the door glass (driver’s side) had been replaced with a junkyard piece. Yes, the logo is backwards when viewed from the outside. The passenger side glass marking is:

Is this possibly original? It does seem to match what you have for a '68 door window, but it is right way around when viewed from the outside. As this is an OTS there are no quarter windows or hatch window.

Great piece of a '67 glass.

You can see it’s a '67, as there is a dot etched below the 7th letter of TOUGHENED.

I am not 100% sure, but there seems to be a dot above T in TRIPLEX, am I right? If so, it’s a 'Quarter 1 glass.
This is original to your car, most probably. Glass shipments usually were about 2-4 months before the car was manufactured.

Tadek

Here are photos of LH door glass and rear hatch glass on my Feb 19 1968 FHC.

David

1966 FHC w/heated rear window

Heated rear window

Heated rear window logo

Right rear quarter…same on left

Right side glass, exact same on left (see from behind, reverse)

Right scoop

Left scoop

Many thanks John, it must be an early '66?

March 10, 1966

did you notice the “AS2” is on the top of the right scoop and bottom of the left?

Yes, I did.
I have seen it on door windows on '63, 67 & '68 cars plus quarter windows in '68.

John, could you possibly confirm if the dot under the left glass is under G or H?

Tadek

The door windows are interesting, too:

John’s door window, Q4

another door window, Q1 - AS2 is at the top, hardly visible:

So, same year, but different location of the AS2…

Tadek

Many thanks for all help.

So I think I have managed to find almost all the logos for all years and now am able to even reproduce them, fairy well, I would say.

One is original one my copy - anyone can spot the difference (besides the different quarter)?

:slight_smile:
Tadek

1 Like

I should add a very good document from Pilkington:

P Glass.pdf (239.2 KB)

Tadek

1 Like

I found this interesting: on my '67 Rover, not a single piece of glass has any marking on it.

Did it grow up in a neighbourhood with little boys and slingshots?

1 Like

That was different cars, and I deny all accusations of using a WristRocket.

Since at least 1970.

:grimacing:

In seriousness, none of the glass on Margaret has any etched ID.

Tadek:

Your chart shows you’re looking for 1967 logos for Sundym rear and side glass. Here are a couple of pics from my late 1967 FHC (early July '67 build date).

Rear screen:

Side Glass (LH):

Sorry the side glass pic isn’t clearer (there are dots under the “S” and “M”) but the logo is the same as the rear glass and door glass except for the location of the dots, ie. date of manufacture.

1 Like