Trouble fitting the front timing cover

Just spent a couple of fruitless hours trying to fit this cover . Can’t seem to get It down enough to engage . Even without the oil seal it still won’t go down . I am aware of the locating pegs , and have swung it past the lower one , but to no avail . Must be doing something wrong , but what ? , I don’t want to damage anything by forcing it .

Is the head off?

+Twenty

1 Like

Yes Mike and the engine is out .

Does it seem to hang at the top or the bottom? The adjuster for the upper timing chain is a common culprit.

I misspoke when I said adjuster, the intermediate sprocket was what I was thinking of.

1 Like

It seems to be at the bottom . I am holding the cover away from the top to try an avoid damage to the gasket . At first I thought the oil seal was too proud , but without it , it needs to go down about 10mm .

Yes , it won’t go down far enough to engage with that . Can it be adjusted ?

It sounds like you’re trying to put it together with the oil seal in situ, I always put the front cover on, then installed the seal and seal collar.

Sounds a better idea . Thing is , I’ve still got the crankshaft pulley on . So it’s got to come off then ?

Well, with the engine out in on a stand, it’s not a big deal, but that’s my recommendation how to do it.

Does that large nut undo clockwise or anti ?

Crank bolt? Undo is rotate to the left (antiCW).

Ok , thanks Paul , and twenty .

Impact wrench will be your friend for the crank bolt.

1 Like

I’ve only got 32mm ring spanner , must get bigger ! My impact is a 4lb lump hammer :hammer: .

1 Like

So how do you stop the crank from turning while you whack the spanner ?

You should not need to hold the engine just get it in position, take a good solid whack at it maybe a couple times and the impact should break the nut loose.

2 Likes

Impact wrench generally loosens the bolt without turning the engine over. If you use a apanner or breaker bar, you usually need to make a tool the locks the flywheel starter gear to the block.

Ok guys , I’m now whacking in the opposite direction ! Got the new chains on , and a new lower guide , it’s no better than the old one , but fitted it anyway . The spring steel adjuster is going back, not the same profile or length , and I don’t want to bend it . The old one works just fine . When I get the crank bolt tight , on with the head :grinning:

1 Like