Truely sad sight

Fire victim of California fires last year - a truely sad sight, but the colors on the car are incredible, almost as staged…

Tadek

Very sad, but very little of that car is now usuable, if it got hot enough to melt the head.

Looks better than a lot of rust buckets I’ve seen for sale, and they found buyers. Has a lot of paint left on it, tells me it could have been a lot worse. I say repairable for the right guy. I wonder how many bucket list restorations actually get finished when the owners plan on doing the work, I’m guessing not many. These old Jags need experienced hands to be put right.

Yup. XK120 bodywork is a difficult mixture of slab sides and voluptuous curves. The fire was obviously hot enough to vaporise the aluminum doors, bonnet and bootlid - you can see their steel hinge plates still attached to the hinge arms - so while it may not look too bad I concur with Wigs that it would be a very tough restoration proposition. Too bad. It was evidently a very solid car.

1 Like

I was thinking if the inner bulkheads are solid and possibly upper sections of the front wings, you would be much further along than getting a car with totally rusted out innards. A DIY crafty guy could handle that, unlike a complete and total rebody from scratch.

Read the ad, the seller obviously has a number in mind and I bet it ain’t cheap.

Hmm - here in the UK, steel is viewed as a fire risk in buildings, presumably due to warping and structural changes. We have exposed steel columns in our house that have to be protected by intumescent paint before Building Control inspectors will sign the work off. I’d want to know how strong that chassis still is. What about the head?

If it’s insured properly, better to take the payout and walk away to find another car.

Speaking of, “What about the head?” Is that not a V-8 I see nestled inside the engine compartment?

Chris.

1 Like

Yeah, looks like a small block chevy V8

I’m guessing that this was not a driver. Lumped, looks like a Chevy V8, no radiator. And what the heck do you think that mammoth pipe wrench in the boot was used for, adjusting the Quadrajet 4-barrel?

Floor jack in the boot, 350 V8… The chassis (assuming it’s titled) will live to receive an aluminum body and proper engine some day.