Trunk mounted AC in Series 1 XJ6

Contemplating installing trunk mounted AC in my 71 XJ6/350 Chevy.

Studying Vintage Air and Old Air models. They both sell 2 different units.

Anyone already done this and how did it work out? Live in west Texas so has to be efficient.

The very early USA cars with AC used trunk mounted units. I recall the clear plastic tubes in the cabin from the package shelf to direct cool air to the front.

? is where is the compressor mounted and be driven. Conventional. In the engine bay and with condensor and dryer up front, with all else astern?

Yes everything else under hood as normal. My stock Jag evaporator sprung a leak and I am not going to go to all the trouble replacing the stock evaporator and be right back with a so so AC that doesn’t do a very good job here in the heat of west Texas. I have already added the 2 extra vents in center of dash

Jaguar used a trunk-mounted evaporator in the early Series 1s. It was the same unit as had been used in the Mark X/420G. The elevated section of the boot just below the rear window is designed to perfectly accommodate the Mark X unit. The air outlet/air return are in the parcel shelf…under which is the top of the unit. Normal stuff under the bonnet; expansion valve is in the rear of course.

Carl, we had a 54 Cadillac with those clear plastic oval tubes from the parcel shelf to above the headliner–feeding ceiling vents front and rear. Worked great!

have you made any progress on this as of yet?
i’m looking for an ac solution for my '71 as well and do not want to tear out the dash.
i was looking into rear mount as well.
i’d have to relocate my deck lid speakers

I just switched from the rear window speakers this weekend.
I like the Vintage Air setup but the base of it is so large it really extends into the trunk area more than my liking. The Old Air unit size is much more to my liking. I’ll probably go with the Old Air. Both companies are right here in Texas not very far from me.

I also had just happened to have 2 rear armrests from a 72 which has the speaker mounts as part of them, even the exact color as my 71s. Have fun snaking some new speaker wires through the existing rubber sleeves.

JAY_COOLE
July 17

have you made any progress on this as of yet?
i’m looking for an ac solution for my '71 as well and do not want to tear out the dash.
i was looking into rear mount as well.
i’d have to relocate my deck lid speakers

vintageair.com
### 685000-VUY.pdf

554.23 KB