Trying to Get Back to Work on My Jag

I am embarrassed to say that’s it’s been 12 years since my last post on this site or (even more embarrassing) since my Jag has seen any TLC. With all the free time lately, my son and I have been trying to make amends and get it back on the road. I confess that I didn’t fit in it well in 2012 and things haven’t gotten any better. At least I have his help now.

I actually have something to contribute from our most recent repair but thought I’d post a photo as soon as I figure out how to do that.

Dan

Dan

Welcome back – though you were before my time.

There are several ways to post a photo but the simplest may be to just drag and drop.

You can even just drag a thumbnail image of the photo and drop it here. Image size can be largish but not humongous (technical terms).

4 Likes

Nice, really nice. .

ANd it needs…what??

In fall 2008 we took it from Massachusetts to New Hampshire for a Jaguar Club rally. It did well on the way there and during. Unfortunately, the ignition switch burned up on the way home. It did that in 1987, and I thought I had fixed it when I found non-standard wiring. I jury rigged it and it got us home.

I now believe that the ignition switch on this particular car (1970, steering column lock, AC) is a design defect (to be charitable). I hope to post some useful information on that.

I also have a fuel system issue that may be due (ha ha) to the fact that it’s been sitting with half a tank for 12 years.

Most of you will cringe when I tell you that I topped off the oil and water, replaced the battery, touched the bare wire of my jury rig, and it started in about 15 seconds. It has a Pertronix ignition system…

There was an impressive amount of mouse fur expelled from the exhaust! Thought my cover would keep them out but no!

It also needs a registration, insurance, and inspection.

As it turns 50 this year, all in all, could be worse…

Dan

My son is just now getting up to speed on what it means to be a Jaguar owner and enthusiast. He was mighty impressed when he heard the XK engine roar to life. And mighty disappointed when we were trying to address the ignition switch and wiring.

Is there a tale to be told to the next generation?

If everything were perfect on these cars would we love them more or less?

When my ignition switch fried it melted the white wire going thru the tach. It was pretty easy to fix and I am not very good at electrical things. Mine is a 1.5 with switch on the column but it is not the locking type. On mine I was able to swap the key tumbler over from the original to the new switch. The Coolcat site has nice wiring diagrams I think, in case it helps.

David
68 E-type FHC

Is that the “Wasco” steering lock/key, with push button start ? (fitted in my 420G and MKX)

Nasty things

In my opinion, one should consider fitting relays to minimise current thru it, and other associated wiring matters

Mine is what I believe to be the Britax with a key on right side of the column that does the unlocking and an electrical switch by Lucas on the back. I am going to start a new thread where I will post pictures of how we addressed it.

Thanks for the links and the comments.

Dan