Trying to remove water adapter from intake manifold

That is a very strange fitting. There is no sealing surface at all, and no undercut at the end of the thread. Clearly not designed for use with a sealing washer. Looks just like a taper (BSPT) fitting but apparently with a parallel thread. Probably fine with some sealant/teflon tape at these low pressures though.

Lots of different types of thread sealant out there; scroll down once the link opens for more options. . Plumbers have been using Rectorseal on both parallel and tapered threads for years

https://www.zoro.com/rectorseal-thread-sealant-175-oz-yellow-25790/i/G1910921/feature-product?gclid=CjwKCAiAwJTjBRBhEiwA56V7qymPNTisYlw3J8L8GQRhglO_in0eLGZxJPbuSkBqpC-DjB0RZuuUSxoCXJYQAvD_BwE

The following links might be helpful:

http://www.jgbhose.com/technical-reference-literature/thread-sealing-tips.asp

https://www.plantengineering.com/articles/guidelines-for-choosing-a-pipe-thread-sealant/

“I’m waiting for the triumphant announcement that the old one is out!”

So am I Erica, so am I. :blush:

So I ground down a socket today, and tried with no success to get the adapter to move… tomorrow I’m going to stop by a friendly shop and see if they’ve got a long breaker bar, or maybe use an air impact wrench on it.

One way or another this thing is coming out…

The brass replacement item doesn’t seem to me a better proposition than the steel replacement. Only an opinion. I’d prefer the security of the deeper threads, and the original aesthetic.

Change the coolant every few years and corrosion becomes a non-issue. The next time anyone should need to remove that nipple will be long after you’re gone.

I doubt if that is a 3/8" BSPP fitting which is 19 threads per inch. BSPP threads are not tapered and expect a copper washer to complete the seal. You don’t have enough threads to accommodate the washer, the threads don’t look deep enough, and sealing will be poor. Also, finding a British standard parallel pipe thread at Walmart would be something short of a miracle.

Mine all came out with a box-end wrench and multiple palm slaps to the other end of the wrench. If necessary grind down the area of the wrench where it interferes with the manifold.

Also good old plumber’s pipe dope would likely be fine.

a breaker bar, and possibly impact wrench, will shear it

I would definitely spot weld that socket to the top of the nut, and quickly get a bar on , work it gently back and forth while it is very hot

nothing to lose, as you can grind the spot welds off & remove socket, if so desired

others may differ and say steel in aluminium should be tackled dead cold

Bob, try this after heating the entire area. With all the new tools and techniques you’ve accumulated try this with the aforementioned on-off movement.
I’ve always found heat worked, and when it didn’t it was because I didn’t heat it long enough. The freeze spray obviously will shrink the fitting.
Shrinkage finally works in your favor!

freeze spray for bolts

That freeze spray is neat and convenient. It’s like something this guy would have in his toolkit

1 Like

No other actor could pull that off…:joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::wink:

Except for George Costanza

So it’s out… heat, ground-down socket, and a breaker bar. We turned it one flat at a time, working it back and forth. The internal threads are pretty shot, as you can see in the photo. So it looks like a repair insert is in my future. I’ve been looking online and everyone wants to sell a pack of 10 it seems, so I’m wondering if anyone has bought a pack and wants to sell 1.

(It seems like a waste to buy 10, and then I’ll have 9 floating around, not wanting to throw away, but knowing I’ll never use. It seems like my garage already has enough of that already. )

Excellent. :muscle:

I assume this nipple was badly-enough corroded… to remove it?

Congrats. That was a long tough battle.

Yes. Too much corrosion to feel confident

Aces! What kind of insert are you looking at? I’m honestly not sure if a helicoil would work here or not. A TimeCert would be brilliant but I’m not sure if it’s available in this thread size.

As I mentioned, as OCD as I am, I think I wouldn’t feel badly about JB Welding a new one in. You should never have to change it again. Maybe you grandkids would, but they’ll understand.

Bob Do you know any plumbers? The ones I know have BSPP taps. I’d run one of those through the threads and see if you can get enough bite to work with.