Trying to remove water adapter from intake manifold

Erica,
I can’t tell you what a relief your saying that is. I hate doing things in a amateurish way… or a hack job, for lack of a better way to express it. But this seems like a situation that may justify it…

I’m thinking something like this might be an option

BSPP and NF threads are very close. Given that the seal here is via a copper gasket you might get away with NF insert - but do you have to seal the inserts? I suspect yes, and that may be difficult.

Terry, I have the tap and did run it through, and while I get some bite I’m not comfortable the amount will hold over the long term.

But thanks for the thought!

It probably would work yes. That is a Helicoil. I just did a quick search and you’ll need to overdrill and tap in order to insert it. It doesn’t just thread into it as is, so you’d need to spend a few pounds on a kit.

https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/BSP-INDIVIDUAL-SIZE-THREAD-REPAIR-KITS.html

Bob I had the same problem about 8 years ago - did the tap and had a few threads bite. It is still working, but I know about comfort!

When I looked at the picture of the removed nipple I thought the exact same thing ad Terry mentioned. If you can get the threads cleaned up then there is a thread repair kit made by loctite that will work if you follow directions carefully. I used one to repair the threads on the fuel bowl on one of my SU’s. It has lasted for about 15 years so far.image|666x500

1 Like

Geoff Good enough for me.

Oh! That’s interesting… I’m going to look into this…

Thanks

If you do decide to us it the most important thing is to spend time making sure that the alumin(i)um is squeaky clean so that it bonds properly. Good luck.

You could tap the manifold for 1.2" BSPP and epoxy a reducer in. Then use your recently acquired nipple as designed.

http://www.britishmetrics.com/shop/Reducing-Bush-BSPP-Nickel/Bushing-1-2-x-3-8.html t

EDIT: Thinking about where this goes you may not have room to put in a larger diameter reducer.

3/8 NPT is slightly larger and nearly the same pitch. Could tap with that…but could’t use your already purchased barb. But NPT brass barbs are easily found.

You can use Right Stuff gasket sealer in the threads. Its a silicone sealer that dries like a rubber.
No, it will not blow out even if the threads are completely gone.

I know the offending piece has been successfully extracted so the timing of this post couldn’t be worse but I just saw this on youtube: mini-ductor from Snap On

It “says” it won’t heat the adjacent metal

Ouch 450 bucks, pretty cool though. It would be great if you could rent them.

Have a look on Banggood. You can get them fully assembled, or just the bits of electrickery to make one yourself.

1 Like

Congrats on winning the battle.
I have used these E-Z LOK inserts a few times and think they would work for your “wet” application.

https://www.ezlok.com/e-z-lok-solid-wall-threaded-inserts-carbon-steel

Now the challange is off course to find a store that will sell you one. I have a selection but don’t think any in your size. I’ll check later and let you know. If I have one, I will certainly sell one to you.

Cheers … Ole

Hi again Robert,
here is a picture of my kit.
Let me know if any of them will fit.

Hi Ole,

Thank you for your kind offer! Unfortunately you are right, they won’t fit as the threads on the adapter are BSP 3/8-19.

But much appreciate the effort!!

Robert

Are these what you are looking for?

So I’ve been considering the options.

1. JB Weld or equivalent
  2. Loctite Form a thread. ( which I thought really interesting but can’t find one)
  3. The suggestion quoted above, using “Right Stuff” gasket

While my preference is number 2, since I can’t seem to find any without waiting a week, I’m inclined to go with #3. Im thinking it’s less permanent than #1.

My thoughts, since I do have some thread engagement, this would provide a seal like a thread sealer, as well as some additional holding power… and would be easier for someone in the future to deal with if necessary.

Thoughts?

( the “Right Stuff” I found was the grey colored, 1 minute version, if anyone has experience with it I’d be interested in hearing)