Trying to remove water adapter from intake manifold

Little doubt it’ll hold fine!

Puristas wont like it, but…who cares?

:laughing:

1 Like

Paul,
Here’s the way I figure it. In order to please the Puristas, I’d have to put the strombergs back on, so that option is off the table already.

1 Like

I’d wager most judges would miss that.

Of course only US destined ‘68s were fitted with Stroms. The rest of the world got SUs. So, yours as retrofitted is still period correct.

1 Like

The way I see it, each of us makes their own decisions about originality. If someone wants to keep their car 100% original, and they have the time, budget, and skills to achieve that aim, then I say “more power to them!”. Similarly, if someone wants to put SUs on a car originally built with Strombergs, and they have the time, budget, and skills to achieve that aim, then I say “more power to them!”.

Recently I saw an SI OTS with a Starsky and Hutch paint job… There’s a limit to when I will say “more power to them!”.

3 Likes

Only thing better than the union jack paint job. How did they do the stripe that goes up the sail panel?

No sail panel. Just a red car with a white triangle on the sides. Perhaps if they’d started with an FHC it would have worked better?

Well now I have inspiration for when I get to my Fhc. Maybe add a superbird spoiler to get the stripe a bit higher. You have awakened the dragon.

1 Like

You’ll have a hard job getting the paint to develop pimples like on the original. Let me know if you need pictures.

Ha ha. All my paint developes pimples. Sometimes just bigger than others.

1 Like

Even worse than… poiple???

:joy:

Yaknow, @chuck_goolsbee is prrrrretty handy with Photoshop…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Gee. Mine’s Carmen Red. Maybe I could make up templates out of newspaper and masking tape.

1 Like

I tackled the job of removing my adapter today. I managed to drive a thin wall socket onto the adapter and, as advised earlier in the thread, I used an air driven impact driver to undo. It duly came out…along

with the alloy thread (as described above) The whole process took 10 mins as I had the tools and the advice from this thread. I now will also use JB weld with the new adapter and leave the problem to my future grandchildren !

Hi Philip

Here’s a link to the 3/8 -19 BSP fitting I got from Walmart, it’s brass so it will not corrode or have a reaction with the aluminum the way steel does. And it’s only $4.36 including tax and delivery. :grinning:

That combined with the JB should be a permanent fix, for the life of the car. They say they only have one left.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-3-8BSP-Male-Thread-14mm-Barb-Hose-Brass-Adapter-Coupler/129713882

Thank you for that Robert. I tried to order the part, but the site won’t accept from outside the USA, so I can’t see a way of purchasing it unfortunately

Just google brass 3/8” bsp to 14mm barb, plenty of hits.