Tung Sol flasher 241D

Considering that, going by the Tung Sol catalogue, the 241D flasher unit used in 120’s was one of their products that was included in approx 80% of their demand I have yet to see a NOS example appear for sale anywhere unlike their many other models?
If you happen to be holding out on a stash of these in NOS condition let me know as I would certainly like one.
Cheers, Jordy.

With age comes wisdom?
Kirk-2017-ande-467

2 Likes

Mr. Bean has been seen racing a Mark VII, so is this what happened to him after the teapot incident?

Try ebay USA. They turn up here often enough.

Graham !!!

What on earth do you want a Tung Sol 241D flasher unit for ???

Your car is 669181 a June 1954 RIGHT-HAND-DRIVE FHC.

669181 would have been fitted new with a Lucas FL3 flasher unit, albeit undoubtedly long gone as their marginal reliability had them superseded by the FL5 unit in 1956. Thus any Jaguar spare parts for failed FL3 received the upgraded FL5 replacement from 1956 on. Your car will invariably now have an FL5 unit fitted which is a direct physical/wiring replacement, replacing your long ago failed FL3.

The last of the USA market XK120s also got the new Lucas FL3 unit, replacing the earlier Tung Sol 241D fitment, but I have not yet established exactly when that happened

I did pick up a NOS FL3 only a couple months ago - for my XK140 restoration, albeit will be interesting to see how long it lasts. But the best solution if you can find an original, exc condition FL3 housing ( a lot of black ink artwork on aluminium canister) (with failed internals), is to retain the FL3 housing, and fit new FL5 internals (same diameter/shorter height - so with some effort, can be done). But you want an early FL5 with screw-type terminals, and not the post 1957 variety with spade-connectors, albeit both FL5 versions were made for spare parts supply well into the 1960s/70s so they can be still found.

See attached pic of a failed FL3 with better than most artwork - note the included 9 55 date

Let the Americans chase the elusive NOS Tung Sol 241D flashers - as you see rarely seen these days, with I recall only a couple being offered in the last few years. (I should have bought one).

Graham… I have only seen two or three in ten years on eBay… I have both of them. One on the car and a spare… both are NOS and both from the same vendor. Like so much ultra rare stuff you may have to hold your nose and write the cheque.

Check ebay UK under Jaguar part No C5230. Jagman has them advertised at £15

looks suspicious to me… why has the barrel of the unit been sanded to remove the graphics?

I think I may have misunderstood. You particularly want a Tung Sol, not just a replacement flasher unit.
Sorry

Thing is I require a replacement of exactly the same style and shape as the original. Screw type terminals, right angle mounting bracket, black graphics instead of embossed and thought the Tung Sol should be more readily available than a FL3 or early FL5 but obviously not.
I will give it some more thought on what I will do.
Thanks for the replies.
Cheers.

Graham, do you have an old (correct) Tung Sol 241D that no longer functions? If so, I can post instructions on how to open it and replace the internal flasher unit. I have done that to my own 241D in my XK120.

No I don’t unfortunately but am interested how the rolled end can be opened then re rolled.
Regards

The early Tung Sol flashers, as supplied to the XK120, do not have a rolled end like all other flashers. These early Tung Sol flashers have a separate aluminum crimp ring to hold the flasher together. Tung Sol eventually did away with the separate crimp ring and incorporated a rolled end as found on the Lucas flashers.

The crimp ring is easily cut with a sharp utility knife. Then carefully open the flasher case and remove the internal flasher. Fortunately, Tung Sol’s outer case is exactly the same diameter as the Lucas FL5 outer case. Thus Tung Sol’s internal flasher can be replaced with a Lucas FL5 internal flasher or a later more robust Tung Sol internal flasher. I prefer the internal flasher from the later Tung Sol 550 because they are cheap and plentiful.

The cut crimp ring is totally reusable. It is even possible to open a non-functioning Lucas FL5 flasher by carefully grinding away the bottom edge of the rolled end with a Dreml tool. Then you can replace the FL5 internal flasher with a new unit. The Tung Sol crimp ring can then be used to close-up the repaired Lucas FL5 flasher. Few would ever detect the addition of the Tung Sol crimp ring on the Lucas flasher.

I have an early NOS Tung Sol 141D flasher made with the aluminum crimp ring. This is exactly the same as the correct XK120 flasher except for one number on the case. The crimp ring would need to be cut and the internal flasher replaced with a more robust unit like a Lucas FL5 or Tung Sol 550. If anyone needs this, send me a PM.

Thanks Mike.
Yes I’ve been looking at the 141 as an option. Just wasn’t sure if it was even possible to get it apart.
Regards, Jordy.