Tunnel photos needed

In theory it should just get pushed farther back. I ran for 19 years with no insulation there and it melted my undercoating and destroyed the paint. This may work, it may not work. Either way it’s 40 bucks worth of materials and a couple hours work vs weeks to have to strip the tunnel and repaint it again.

Hey Doug, Since my shaft is out and I’m in heat shield mode already, I’m thinking about buying a sheet of DEI and shoving it down the tunnel as you did. Did you end up using the adhesive one? It’s available both ways, and cost 50% less with no glue backing. After doing my muffler with it, I’m thinking that if it’s cut into a proper size single rectangle, it’s rigid enough and has a good enough memory to just hug the tunnel and be self supporting. I think it would be way harder to feed it through if it has exposed glue plus there is undoubtedly tons of oil that’s been flung back there so it likely wouldn’t adhere anyway.

Was it difficult to tuck the mat behind the brake cable? Did you stick it in before or after the shaft and if after, was it hard to get the shaft through?

Erica- I used the adhesive backed DEI (as that is what I needed for the rest of the tunnel) and installed it before the brake cable or drive shaft. I did install it in two pieces to make it easier (you can see the split on the top of the tunnel in my first photo) and I scrubbed the tunnel clean and did a final wipe with pre-paint prep solvent. If you cut the mat fairly precisely you could get away with using the non-adhesive type (maybe roll it into a slightly smaller diameter to install, slip behind the brake cable, then expand it around the rest of the tunnel). I had zero issues getting the brake cable and drive shaft in position after installing the insulation.

1 Like

That’s what a mop and laundry soap are for…think of it as plunging for cool!

Are you suggesting I give my car an enema? Ain’t no way I’m sticking my arm or anything else down that long dark tunnel. My days of tunnel scrubbing ended here…

Lovely! I couldn’t possibly compete with that. Wanna come do mine?