Turn Signal Flasher Relay

Just trying to diagnose an issue: Turn signal arrows do not light up on Instrument Cluster

When using turn signal right or left, I can hear clicking from relay, and the actual outside lights flash correctly.
Hazards work too. The hazards idiot blinks on the instrument cluster.
The fuse that controls turn signals and brake lights look good, and brake lights work.
I’ve pulled and tested instrument cluster, and applying 12V to the correct plug contacts light up the turn signal lights.
BUT the flasher relay is making a slow sick sound though when turn signals are clicking.
OH, and when car is first started, I know it’s usual for the battery light to stay on a few seconds. If I have the turn signals on too, the battery light will flash!

Can the relay correctly work for the outside lights and hazards, but not the instrument cluster direction arrows?

DAC1731 is the relay. Common fault?

Common fault. That’s the turn signal bulb failure indication.

so that means an outside turn signal light IS out? Rear lights blink, front lights in bumper blink. Are the side lights near front fenders supposed to blink too?

Not necessarily. It could also mean that one or more of the outside turn signal bulbs have been replaced with an incorrect spec bulb that doesn’t pull enough current.

I suppose it could also mean that the bulb failure feature of your turn signal relay is malfunctioning.

Open question: Could it be because your system voltage is low, or there’s a poor connection somewhere so the turn signals aren’t seeing full 12V? I dunno. Your description of the symptoms sounds like low voltage might be an issue, and Jaguar wiring is notorious for high resistance crimped connections 30 years on.

Hmmm, OK. I’ll do some investigating. I haven’t owned car long enough to remember if the side lights flash or not with the turn signals. I’ll check those bulbs.

Voltage has been good, AFAIK. Battery is always charged, gauge indicates 13-14V when running.

I should also pull the turn signal relay and check it for corrosion I guess. Turn signals have been working fine up until now.

And tonight I’m going to replace ALL my fuses. Since I’ve owned the car, I keep getting periodic fuse blows, and it’s always an original fuse from 1988.

Mine did the same thing until I replaced the bulb in the right rear blinker. It worked fine but wasn’t actually the right spec bulb. Put the right spec in and then it flashed inside when just using the signal!

Side lights definitely do not blink in my '89.

Ironically, I had the exact problem this week with my 85 XJ6. The outside blinkers all worked perfectly, but the indicators inside would not light up. There was no voltage to the bulbs inside the tach or speedometer. Long story short, it was the turn signal relay. The relay would click normally but wasn’t sending current to the bulbs. I had an extra on the shelf. Once replacing the relay, the bulbs blinked perfectly.

1 Like

Found the relay, very easy.

Mine also ticks slow, then fast, then slow. That doesn’t sound right to me…Have ordered new one for $17…it’s worth a try.

Follow up. Replaced turn signal relay, now arrows on instrument cluster are blinking. :slight_smile:

1 Like