Turn signals 1985 jaguar xj6

So I have a 1985 jaguar xj6 and all 4 turn signals don’t work. I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on what it might be, like if they have had this happen to them.

Does the Hazard flasher work, Bo - if not, the flasher relay is one approach…

But do change fuse #2 and #10…(15A)

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

No the hazards don’t work. I’ll go ahead and change those fuses, and then if that doesn’t work I’ll change the relay. Thanks Frank!

Power for the turn signals comes from the hazard warning switch. The internal contacts that provide the voltage path can become oxidized

Sometimes exercising the hazard switch will clean the contacts.

Just another thing to try

Cheers
DD

Bo,
If your Hazard Switch is broken you will have to remove and replace it before you will be able to get your turn signals to work. I own three Series III saloons and I have had to remove and replace 2 Hazard Switches over the past 18 years when the directional signals didn’t work.

Paul

If those actions don’t rectify it, Bo - faultfinding gets pretty intricate in this somewhat complicated set-up. The hazard switch is not ‘active’ in normal indicator operation - and the stalk switch is not active in ‘hazard’ position…:wink:

But diagnosis, which should be done before changing anything, requires access to both…

Frank

Oddly, in my 85 the turn signals work but not the hazards. Haven’t looked into it yet.

‘Probably’ a blown #2fuse, Martin - turn signal and hazards are powered via two different fuses…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UKNZ)

On this subject, I’ve just replaced a broken hazard switch on a S2.
Now the hazards won’t work. New switch has some different pins.
Tried every combination. At least the indicators work but only if hazard wire is left off.
However, the big problem is that I can’t get the tube that has the clamp and the grub screw right in. Tried persuasion, grease and force.
It came off quite easily which is necessary to get the top shroud out.
Do I have to heat it?
Help please!

The hazard switch has 7 connections, Jeff - and even given that some wires may be harmlessly switched; second-guessing connections leaves some 120 possible combinations - so your ‘tested every combination’ is a bit suspect…:slight_smile:

This why wiring diagrams are used, but also that switch layout must be identified if not an identical part. The switch function is rather simple; when ‘on’ it basically connects flasher relay to all the bulbs - bypassing the indicator stalk switch…

The point here is that the replacement hazard switch may work in a different way - and the long way around is to identify how the connections interconnect in both switch positions on the new part. And you need a wiring diagram as well for a smooth solution - if you want one…

I assume that the new switch does not interfere with the grub screw problem…?

Frank

Thank you Frank
I connected the four wires for the indicators as they were on the old switch.
Confirmed by wiring diagram from the repair operating manual.
The indicators work.
There is one wire left to connect and tried it on each of the other three pins left.
Anyway I’ll get a switch with the exact pin layout of the old one. This new one is perhaps of later model than the S2? And has a different pin layout.

This problem is unconnected to getting the assembly back in properly.

Only two wires on the hazard switch are relevant for the direction indicators, Jeff - power ‘in’, white/pink (from #10 fuse), connected (hazard ‘off’), to light green/pink which goes to the flasher relay. The other wires are used for power in’ to the hazard, and to bypass the indicator (stalk) switch with hazard ‘on’.

The *light green/green connects to light green/blue with hazard ‘on’
The brown wire provides permanent power (from fuse #2) to the flasher relay over the same light green/pink - powered with hazard ‘on’. In principle; this switch function can be sorted by accessing the flasher relay and checking for power with the white/pink and brown correctly connected. When this is sorted…

…the light green/green and light green/blue connects to terminals (#9 and#6) that are connected with 'hazard ‘on’. The former goes to the hazard tell-tale lamp - the latter to the flasher relay, but may be connected to the stalk switch ‘in’.

The two remaining wires connects to terminals (#4 and #7) that are connected in hazard ‘on’ - and connects to stalk switch green/white and green/red

The terminal numbers refers to the original switch…

Frank

Thanks again Frank
Back to the drawing board.
I hate electrickery.

Then to get the steering parts back properly.