Turn Signals Issue

A new annoyance started this weekend on my '67 E Type. All of a sudden, the green arrows on the dash stopped working when I use my turning signals. All 4 exterior signals work and flash correctly, it’s just the left & right arrows on the dash. I don’t think this can be just a fuse, since everything else is working fine. Any idea?

If they both stopped working it’s likely the wire from the flasher to the dash lights, the lights then split and go to separate circuits at the turn signal switch. Because both of them quit it’s likely the single connection between the flasher and lights. It could also be the flasher or the flasher socket. Try wiggling the flasher in its socket with the blinkers on it.

Thanks for the speedy reply! I will check that right away, your theory seems more than plausible.
The flasher in a Sereis 1 is under the dash, correct?

In case it isn’t something simple…

On an S2 there are a 4 of contacts on the switch, one pair for the corner flashers and the other pair for the arrows. The contacts for the arrows are what failed on mine.

With some creative wiring modification I use the corner flasher circuits to also operate the arrows – but the only way I could do this was to have both arrows flash irrespective of which direction is selected.

No idea if your S1 has a similar arrangement.

I see. Could it be that the flasher needs to be replaced altogether? I just checked mine, all contacts seem OK and the wires properly connected. However, I unplugged the flasher and noticed a rattle sound from the inside when I lightly shake it. As if there are some loose components inside. Is it normal?

Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 11.52.08 AM

Loose components inside a flasher can are not a good sign. If the crimp on yours is as lousy as the crimp in the photo you show, I would un-crimp it and open it up. You can always put it back together if no problems found.

The other issue to check is the earth side of the circuit which plugs into the black/red and black/white wires that go to the indicator lights… also I had an issue at one stage … which turned out to be insufficient load on the circuit and the can therefore could not close the circuit properly… the direction arrow would flash only once and no more… turned out that the one test bulb on the circuit was 5w instead of 21 w …
cheers
Dannt

Flasher replaced, problem resolved. My $10 happiness unfortunately did not last long, though. After I replaced the part I went for a quick test drive and the car in from of me shot a rock on my windshield. And this is the result.

:sleepy:

Well, that sucks.

Same thing happened to me a while back. Hagerty covered the replacement and they were easy to deal with.

Ouch must have given you a fright