Turning crankshaft manually

Hi, I’m new here and own a 1977 Daimler Sovereign 4.2 lit.
Have to replace the complete ignition and was wandering if a special tool is needed to turn the crankshaft manually. There’s very little space between fan and pulley and I cannot seem to find a central bolt to put a wrench on. Internet did not provide me very much info either.

Nice to meet you all and thanks for any help

1 Like

Hi Paul and welcome. I think if we did an audit there would be more Pauls than any other name. I have a 1972 XJ6 so it may be a little different to yours: I take the spark plugs out and pull on the fanbelts. Crude but effective. Paul

Indeed it is tight, Paul - but there is the crankshaft bolt hidden in the middle of the crankshaft pulley. Holding everything together, but also, with a lever and a socket, is used to turn the engine. Pulling on the belts with the plugs out may or may not work as well…

And welcome on board…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

While Pauls method is a good one, the method suggested in the FSM is to place a 1-5/16" socket over the main bolt, that is recessed within the crank pulley.

This can usually be reached from below, without removing anything, with provisos

a 33mm x 1/2" drive is easier to fit in the tight space, than 1-5/16", which is normally a 3/4" socket.

A goose neck ring spanner cranked at the right angle will work…I am fortunate to have several in 3/4 Whitworth, which is the correct original size

summary…if you do not have any of the above, buy a 1/2" drive 33mm socket, and go from below

33mm = 1-5/16" = 3/4 Whitworth

1 Like

Hi there,
already tried the fanbelts :slight_smile: so will go now for the 33 mm and surch for the “hidden one”

by the way : according to the manual (XJ6 series 2) the fuel pumps should be in the trunk - but off course, … not in mine, but I see lines coming out on the bottom of the rear side panels. Also “hidden” there ? Is there that much differences between a Daimler sovereign Saloon and Jaguar XJ6 ??
Should I search for a specific Daimler manual ?

The manual covers both. There’s probably a differently-branded driver’s handbook.

Getting purchase on this nut, especially from above whilst adjusting valves, is a PITA. On my car, there isn’t clearance for any socket, and offset spanners don’t work either. There are examples of home-made tools in the archives.

I noticed this quite recently (Rob Beere website). If you’re in a position to replace the bolt, this one from ARP allows access with a 1/2 inch drive ratchet or breaker bar all by itself.

dog001

1 Like

Paul, are you sure?

Paul

:crazy_face:

As you well know there are heaps of us. :slight_smile:

My Dad, Paul, would concur…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As you know there’s heaps of us. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paul,

at the risk of getting boring to some listers reading my very limited and repetitive postings, but you cant’t go wrong with getting yourself the original parts catalogue, an online copy of which is available at https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/older-vehicle-info (I think I wrote pretty much the same thing last night, didn’t I;-), and the original Repair Operation Manual (ROM) which used to be available through JDHT and distributed as a CD-ROM. Samples of it still show up.

The parts catalogue will tell you that your car probably has fuel pumps that are immersed in the tanks (1M 03L). The VINs are indicated from which car on those instead of the in-trunk pumps were used.

The Owners Manual is not very accurate. Only last weekend I found out that my OM didn’t even match the fuses in the fuse box.

Good luck with your car though! We’d like to see some pics:-)

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

When I was whinging, on the weekend, about not getting WOT in my XJ6 I found all the drawings in the parts manual different to what I have and the ROM correct! Not what I was expecting! Go figure. Paul

Paul,

I wasn’t referring to the ROM, which I always found very accurate, if sometimes surprising;-), but the glovebox OM: “Jaguar XJ6L Series 2. Operating, Maintenance and Service Handbook” and its fuse list at p. viii: it lists the horn relay winding at #5 (it actually is #6 - as per the wiring pattern) and the reverse lights at #6 (they are definitely not at #6, as the were still lit after I had removed the fuse).

And I’d subscribe to your finding about the Parts Catalogue: If anything is wrong here, I’d always supect a PO has messed things up …

Good luck
Jochen

Jochen,
It is not an owners manual but a Haynes workshopmanual of the Jag XJ6, but it seems that I need to look for a specific Daimler manual.
Here is a pic pics (can only post one cause I’m new ??

1 Like

Wow, Paul,

that’s a nice car! I understand that during this period Jaguar was pretty much able to justify the Daimler price tags “only” with personalised colour schemes - black was not available on standard Jags, but your car even looks like a dark blue/green, but that may be just my screen. What colour is it? Is that interior cinnamon or different again? You should be able to post more pictures with the same function. From time to time it takes a bit to upload bigger files, but I’m not aware of any limitations.

BTW, I must have gotten my last postings mixed up - sorry for this! Now who was asking about these fuel pumps? - Hope he followed this thread as well …

Yet, I’d still try to get the original “Jaguar XJ6 Daimler Sovereign Repair Operation Manual”. In terms of mechanical issues it covers both types as Pete Crespin already wrote. And yes, I’d prefer it over a Haynes manual.

Good luck with your car. BTW, my PO had a 1-2-3 ignition installed around 2006 and it still performs flawlessly.

Jochen

Paul: Welcome to the group. You will not find a group of owners who are more proud, devoted and selfless than this Jag owners group.

I recently had ocasion to turn the crankshaft by hand. I tried numerous tools, including a rubber wench, to grasp the socket, but only one method worked easily. And that was to insert the appropriate size socket, as stated by others, and turn it using…(at this point I advise purists to avert their eyes), an appropriate size pipe wrench. I think I used a 6” wrench. The problem is, as others have already said, there is very little space at this location. The pipe wrench worked best because I could easily grasp the socket, turn the few degrees that other engine parts would permit, and then easily grasp the socket again.

Appprepoe of nothing, I caution you NOT the turn the crankshaft backwards.

I did not try it but believe working from below would work as well, with more conventional auto repair tools.

Good luck.

Regards
Lou
73 XJ6

New members do have certain limitations sadly. It is very pretty and appears to be in perfect condition.
The green workshop manual covers all you need. The Daimlers have very few differences.

I helped myself by removing the spark plugs. Tightening the fan belt and using a lever on the water pump bolts (shame on me, but it works). I still assume I can turn it both ways, but after what happened to Lou I’d no longer advise it if he doesn’t think it’s good.

David

Hi Paul,

I own a '74 Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas, similar look to yours

regards the Owners Manual; there is in fact a specific owners manual titled as above

however for all intents and purposes, they are the same as a S2 XJ, so the the Service Manual is the same.

The Owners Manual should contain identical info, just with a different title page.

The Parts Manual covers both

Ideally you should obtain the correct literature to accompany your vehicle, even if you dont intend to work on it yourself

A “correct Daimler” owners manual would be rare, but obtainable

![