Turns over but no start

hi all, have a problem with my 1995 xjr6 s/charged. for the last few weeks it has been hard to start (hot or cold) but when it did it ran fine. now she wont start at all and can smell petrol after a few goes. have had new coil packs fitted and plugs. on checking the plugs on the weekend they were black and sooty. any ideas please what to check next. thanks.

It may be the crank position sensor.

1 Like

ok thanks, will check that later.

x2 on that crank position sensor.

1 Like

Don’t know about the supercharged model but my 95’s “turn over but non-start” problem was the relay behind one of the headlights. There are 4 big relays, can’t remember which one, I believe their all the interchangeable. It controls the fuel inj. or computer.

If the tachometer reads about 200 rpm whilst cranking the CKPS is ok.

well after a couple of days in the jag dealers workshop all running good again. cleaned out very dirty fuel tank, replaced fuel pumps, filter and new plugs but still no start. found the harmonic balancer was a bit loose and on removal, the key in keyway was broken. fitted new key and started first go. she now runs like a dream again. :grin:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing what the problem was!

1 Like

Thanks. It’s good to share the solutions, as it adds to the collective knowledge base.

1 Like