Two Fuel Pumps?

I was talking to my tech last night who is trying to finally get Sporty (my '03 X-308 Sport Ed.) up and running. I had given him $s to purchase a good used fuel tank and pump, since the old ones were pretty gummed up from sitting around 5+ years. He tells me now that the car uses TWO pumps, and he needs $$ to buy a second one to install.

I have never heard of any Jag that uses two fuel pumps, and checking out the Jaguar Classic Parts site, I don’t see on there where there is more than one pump in any of the X-308s. Despite that, is what the tech telling me true?

Hi Atty, V12’s have 2 pumps and I am fairly sure my XJR has 2 to feed the supercharger.

Paul if yours is a 4L N/A X308 then AFAIK there is only 1 fuel pump, if it’s S/C then there are 2.

1 Like

“S/C” = the models sold in Europe? Mine is the 4.0 N/A model, so again I suspect my tech is trying to put one over on me to get some extra $$s in his pocket. :angry:

Robin, I did look up the supercharged model (XJR), as well as the European variations of both it and the “normal” X-308 on the Jaguar Classic parts website, and they all appear to have just one fuel pump there. :

N/A - normally aspirated …S/C - supercharged

Oops - thanks for that clarification. Sporty is definitely not super-charged (despite her nickname).

Now you have me confused when I can get into the boot on the weekend I am going to have to rip the boot linings out to see how many connectors are on the Evap flange:) I concur that the JDHT site shows only one pump.

BE AWARE that the 2001 ((From VIN F20645)North American cars at least, I don’t know ROW) fuel tanks changed in that the level sender is INSIDE the tank mounted on the pump bracket. The older (1998-2000) senders are mounted in the middle on the back of the tank. They can be replaced easily if you have less than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

The sender and pump wires for the later tanks are ALL in the EVAP FLANGE connector.

Don’t confuse one fuel pump and one sender as 2 pumps because you see 4 wires on the later tanks (From VIN F20645).

ALL Supercharged X308 have TWO fuel pumps. ALL Normally Aspirated X308 have ONE pump.

bob

Thanks for that Bob, not sure where I read about the 2 pumps for the SC cars but I was fairly confidant.

1 Like