Two post lift suggestions

There is a lot to be said in favor of each style of lift. I find the 4-post to be the best fit for what I do but your needs may be different.

One thing I should have done differently was that I only got one jack tray (the usual as offered with the package deal). For some work a second jack tray would spare me repositioning the car half way through the task. A small inconvenience but one I think I will remedy.

Working professionally on Jaguars for a long time, we have had two post and 4 post lifts. In the shops, the 4 post lifts are what cars get stored on. They get worked on the 2 post lifts. It all depends on what you want to do with the lift. There is no one size fits all.

1 Like

The place I do my work in has two post and scissor lifts set in the floor. If I were building a new garage I would go for a scissor lift set into the floor, no question about it.

1 Like

Having a 4 post BendPak in the garage, the only thing Iā€™d change is buying the rolling jack.
I have two jack trays and have had all seven of my cars on this lift at one point in time.

I normally use it for storage, but have done four brake jobs on it. Requires extra effort to get all four jack stands in place but very doable.

If I had the room Iā€™d have a 2 post and a scissor jack along with the 4 post. Why not have the best of all worlds if your building it to your needs?

how we do it in Tennesseeā€¦

2 Likes

Not trying to hijack this most informative topic, but my personal favorite:

Learned a valuable lesson this morning. I donā€™t bounce as well as I used to when younger. Could have been lights out for me and my dream garage.
Went to raise blinds over bathtub, jumped up to tub surround (slick marble) with socks on feet opened one blind and walked around to other side on marble surround and went flying. Face hit wifeā€™s marble vanity then hit the floor. How I did not crack my head open do not know. Lay there one the floor for a minute or so face neck shoulder and arm in pain. No blood or broken bones. Must be made of some good alloy? And I have been told working under a car is dangerous? Take care, it is the stupid stuff that can take you out. I feel ok now.

Glenn

donā€™t put the drain in the centre of the floor. Have the builder make a flat floor with standard pitch to the door. In front of the door have a trench running the width of the floor covered by a grid to drain out the side of the foundation no connection to sewer. Check a commercial garage to see this kind of grid drain if description not clear. put the compressor closet and furnace outside in a small closet.

if aesthetics are not a problem consider the ā€œroll up type doorā€, rolls up like a window shade, takes no ceiling space. they do look a little commercial though.

Donā€™t forget to include lots of amperage for 240V compressor, welder and any toolsā€¦

A steel beam across the centre with one of those trolley s on it can be used to lift and move a whole car sideways across the garage.

Let us know what you decide and what the bill is. best of luck

Bill

Have already ditched the idea of a drain, will go the grid route.Compressor and dust collection closets will have to be in interior. Roll up door is out, sectional door will be placed close to ceiling. As per HOA and my wife this building will not really look like a garage except for two large doors. Will have Spanish tile roof and details as my home. French doors etc. A steel beam would be nice but have to draw line somewhere. Will need lots of amps, and utility rate is so high here will most likely put solar panels on roof. This will look like a continuation of my home not a garage. Hope is to be no more than $100. per sq.ft, crazy for a garage! At rear of garage will be a patio with some rocking chairs with a view of hills and overlooking my vineyard.

Glenn

Thatā€™s smart as it means the next owner can see the structure as an unfinished guest house if they donā€™t happen to be car guys.

As for ā€˜which lift?ā€™ - lots of advantages to each type but I think most would agree that any lift (or pit) is vastly superior to working on the floor.

Iā€™ll be over in time Mouvedre.

Bill

I know nothing about wine and rarely drink the stuff. But here I am the owner of 1000 Sauvignon Blanc vines that were included with house purchase. Now trying to find someone to care for vineyard and harvest without loosing $$$$$

Glenn

I have a Mohawk with these wheel adapters - wonderful but expensive and heavy.

are you in Sonoma, CA?

I am in northern San Diego county (Fallbrook)

Had been the avocado capitol of the region until water shortage. Now grapes are in.

Meeting with winery manager Monday about maintaining vineyard.

Glenn

Nice, warm. and no rust.
Good luck with the vineyard.

Iā€™m interested in the same asymmetric lift . Can you tell me what model ? How far apart did you place the towers? Do you back the E types on?

The brand I got was Atlas. It came from Greg Smith Automotive which has shops in various places across the US. It is very similar to the Rotary lifts but a good bit less money. The XKE goes on without an issue. With Asymetric lifts, you pull forward. Non asymetric lifts allow you to go either way. The spacing is determined by the upper plate that connects the two towers. There are various models with options such as weight handling and height. Greg Smiths showroom has the on display and their website gives all of the specs.

Iā€™ve got a Rotary 4-post. I use it for storage and maintenance.
I think the usual practice is to put a slope in the floor for a garage but a level floor would be better for a lift installation. Especially for a 2-post.

My floor has a slight slope for drainage in case of need. Most 2 post install kits come with shims so you can get the lift perfectly vertical. If you ever go in to a professional shop, you will see 2 post lifts. 4 post are great for storage and light maintenance such as oil changes. The two post are a lot easier if you are going to do something serious such as transmission, brakes and the like.