Tyres for 5" rims

My S1.5 project came with 5" rims fitted with 205/70R15 tyres which are rubbing on the rear bumpstops (now removed but still rubbing on BS brackets). Tyres are now 13 years old, so what is best new tyre size.

Thanks
Ross, Brisbane

Remove the bump stops. But not sure you should be using 205s on 5 inch wheels

There’s a lot of personal preference in tire (tyre, tar) selection - but I like the look and feel of 185/15.

In that size Vredestein Sprint Classics are popular and usually reasonably priced.

1 Like

Check the manufacturer’s website to see wheel rim width recommendations. There are some 205/70s that the manufacturers say will work on a 5", for example some Dunlop tires.

The bump stops. Mine rubbed with the 205 Dunlop tires I’m using. First I positioned the rubber snubber so the bottom end tilted to t he center of the car. Then I removed the wheel and tire, and put a plastic shopping bag over the splined hub. Then I put a 36 grip sanding belt on my belt sander and attacked the bump stop. I took it down to the point the sander started to contact the nuts. Then I took the runner snubber off, clamped it to my Work Mate outside the garage and sanded it down almost to the mold line on the edge. It goes much quicker than you might think, maybe an hour a side

PO fitted 195 Tiger Paw on mine. didn’t rub while I had the car together and rubbing

Outlier here but I like them…195/65r15 on my ots $39.96 per shipped walmart…I mount then myself manually
or
185/65r15…$33.40 per shipped walmart…mount myself…I bought 8 at some point will be on my E’s

Hi Ross…the correct size tire for your car are 185 r15 this size has the correct aspect ratio and the diameter will give a correct reading at the speedo(assuming its working correctly)…any other size is a matter of choice but not an original size…the choice in this size is limited and they are more expensive than other sizes…Steve

185sr15 Goodyear G800 made in Great Britton…I have one original from my '69 2+2

This original E tire is the same height as my 205/70r15 (both inflated)…the 205 tho hits the bump stops on both my '69 ots and the '69 2+2

So, I have the aforementioned 195/65r15 on the ots and in the future will move to the 185/65r15 (both the 185 and 195 are much lower…well the 185/65r15 lowers the car by almost an inch (.92) while maintaining the same width as the original 185sr15) To be exact the 185/65r15 is 1/4 inch wider than the original 185sr15

Again, this is an outlier…to each their own…to each their own