U-haul trailer towing

Tried that, upon the advice similar to yours: damn near killed me.

This is why Iā€™ve never hauled a trailer in my life.
Although Iā€™d like to buy a boat one dayā€¦

Just sneak up to speed: ANY sign of waggleā€¦ slow down and increase tongue weight.

I did many thousands of miles of trailer haulingā€“including semi-trucks-- and tongue weight is the key.

IIRC, the rules for towing a trailer in Australia are remarkably stringent. Like, the trailer cannot weigh more than 1/2 the weight of the tow vehicle, I think.

1 Like

Just transported mine 370miles
Easy in, easy out, not scraping the bottom, fender etc

2 Likes

Those straps holding the wheels in the front came loose half way home, I only noticed because of a fuel stop. I had 2-3 hard brakes (not that I had to come to a full stop) and no sliding whatsoever, just buttery brake. Cruising speed 65ish with top speed ~80mph.

Thanks for the picture.

Saw a picture once of an XJS with a canoe on its roof and towing a trailer like a small Airstream. Out in the boonies. I think it was in Oz.

Yes, and, having a tow vehicle thatā€™s rated for the trailer and cargo is also most important. I see so many little half ton pickups pulling a 20ā€™ trailer and their hitch and trailer tongue are nearly scrapping the pavement along with the front tires barely on the road like an old school dragster.
Get a bigger pickup or a smaller trailer, dude!!!
Phillip

I once saw the oddest thing,

4 Likes

I thiiink the Chevy Toyota dually rear axle might help a wee bitā€¦:joy:

1 Like

Paul- Itā€™s Toyota dually!
Tongue weight is at 10% exactly; approx 275lbs.
Sometimes up to 15% depending on if my holding tanks are full or not.

1 Like

Toyota??

Man, you ARE a Philistine! :grimacing:

I canā€™t wait to see that in person!

1 Like

For sure, a really neat pair !!! Once saw???

A tale:

I read this somewhere. A guy bought a Jaguar that did not run. Rare?? His truck either a Dakota or S10. Uhaul not willing to rent a car trailer for it. Not big enough . Went home and got his Dadā€™s big pickup. got the trailer. Swapped it to his little one. returned Dadā€™s. All went well. Returned to Dadā€™s place rehooked returned trailer.

Coming hoe one afternoon. Looked off to my side into the ā€œbarrow ditchā€ !! ā€œAm I seeing things?ā€ Nope, it is there. A boat!!! A good sized oneā€¦ Fell off a trailer, I supposeā€¦

Carl

Carl, I had the occasion, before we bought a car hauler trailer, to rent a U Haul car hauler trailer and the tongue weight was so heavy it made the steering light! I pulled our trailer with a Dakota with a 318, ops 5.2. worked great for close to ten years.

If it came off a trailer, thatā€™s another issue. Someone didnā€™t strap it down right. Thatā€™s a separate problem from the trailer itself being in the ditch.

1 Like

I know a guy who had that happen. Coming home from a day on the water. At night. Wife and kids in car. Realized boatā€¦about a 14 to 16 footer runaboutā€¦ had come off the trailer. Turned and went to back down road. Found boat in the road but not before someone else had topped the hill and crashed into it. Fortunately no one was hurt. Totaled the boat. Beer may have been a factor ā€¦

My mom and stepdad drove the AlCan Highway to Alaska with a pickup hauling a 27-foot fifth wheel trailer. At the time there were some seriously desolate stretches along that route. While driving one of the tires came off the trailer. While stepdad changed the wheel, mom hiked back to find the tire ā€“ which was still so hot she couldnā€™t touch it. She managed to bring it back to the rig, and next service station they had a guy mount it right back onto the wheel. There wasnā€™t anything wrong with the tire.

Better war story: My dad and stepmom had a pop-up camper. They originally had a little one, but once they had three kids they traded it for a great big one. Since their attitude was that they could never have too much stuff, in preparation for a camping trip theyā€™d buy enough canned goods to last the entire trip along with pretty much every other amenity they could think of. With the top of the camper collapsed you could still open the door and crawl in, so theyā€™d employ one of the kids to crawl in there and jam the aisle space slap full of boxes of stuff, mainly canned goods. The kid would have to back out, stacking stuff as he went.

Going down a mountain road, a trailer tire blew out. They got it replaced, coupla days later another one blew out. They asked at some service station why they kept blowing tires and the guy answered that it must be that trailer brake system, the one where the trailer pushing against the trailer hitch actuates a master cylinder and engages drum brakes on the trailer. His solution: Cut that brake line with a pair of dykes, letting all the brake fluid drain out onto the ground.

I didnā€™t find this out until years later when that brake system had been open and dry for so long that everything in it was rusted solid. Once I heard what happened, I immediately went out and checked the weight of the (empty) trailer: 2800 pounds. And the load rating of the two tires: 1400 pounds each.

1 Like

True. Only slight relevance if any. And zip as to Jaguars.

but, look where it is leading toā€¦

1. Decades ago as kids wandering on the New Mexico
    desert north of El Paso. The bones of a small trailer.
    Axle, hubs, most of a frame, tow bar, hitch, but no wheels!! Went home, got some wheels. we recognized the pattern and a car with a hitch. probably dadā€™s 38 Dodge. Drug it home and built a GP trailer. And some use on camp trips. A little B& s, a car 6volt generator and a battery. Whee, electric light when out camping.

2. Decades, a lot of them, later, seeking 35 Ford wires for my roadster project. Another derelict part of a trailer.
    inquired, would you sell the wheels? No! would you take a better pair of trailer wheels and tires, Again, no.
    Well, how much for all of it? 100.00ā€¦ Dealā€¦ Dear departed along., ā€œNow what???ā€. Driving the IHC Scout II. Hooked it up. drove through town finished errands Luck, no cop saw a completely illegal tow. Safe, though, safety cables and allā€¦

Side tracked. Did a of welding and carpentry and a neat big box trailer resulted , painted orange to match the Scout!!! Did a lot of serviceā€¦

I used cast off big Scout tires and wheels, the white spoke varietyā€¦ Uneven wear no issueā€¦

Carl