Uh...What is this part?

Ahoy !
2002 S-type 4.0L V8, Naturally Aspirated
Can someone please tell me what this part is ? What used for ? How critical is it ? Etc… ?
Thank you.
Hopefully, I’ll be able to upload a photo.

Photo is looking back toward the firewall. In lower right of the photo is the red-coloured fill cap.
Wooden dowel is touching the broken part, the break’s jagged edge on the right as viewed in the photo. The hose&clamp to the immediate right of the broken part is actually routed behind the part and is NOT associated with it.
Best Regards and Happy Christmas,
R. Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro, U.S.A.

Only a short end has broken off. Hard to say what it was intended to be. On my car a big black flexible cable outer trunk with a bunch of cables inside goes into the end that has broken off on yours but it doesn’t come out the other end. It’s too dark at the moment to see where it goes. The whole thing passes right across the back of the engine and looks like a rather over elaborate cable duct.

Eric
Shropshire, UK

Have you looked on one of the usuals parts breakdowns to see if you can identify its use that way?

Hello.
Unfortunately, I’ve not tracked down a MacBook compatible parts catalogue for purchase nor good, on-line illustrations.
Best Regards,
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro U.S.A.

I think Eric is right, it is a plastic duct for the engine wiring harness.
My 3.0 V6 has one back there.
To replace it you would have to remove the wiper arms, the plastic cover over the wiper mechanism, and the steel cross brace. Then you can see it better.
Might be a good idea to do that anyway as then you can replace the cabin air filter and grease the bolts that hold on that cross brace.

Oh, that cross brace! How much easier everything would be if it was out of the way. My bolts are all seized solid and will almost certainly shear off if I try any harder to shift them. Haven’t got time to drill them out at the moment but I need to get the coil covers off again.
Good advice from Rob. If you can get them out, use plenty of anti-seize when you put them back.

Eric

Thank you, Everyone.
A bonus: Now I know how to access the cabin air filter.
Perhaps when I attempt to replace this broken duct and the cabin filter, I’ll get a clue as to what someone was doing in the engine compartment to have damaged the duct.
(An aside: Car is parked outside and, with dropping temperatures and shortened days, I’ve had little to no opportunity of diving-in and immersing myself. So, it remains mostly a BRG-black box to me.)
Merry Christmas !
Richard Cielec
Greater Chicago Metro, U.S.A.

Yes, I should have said anti-seize, not grease, and in fact that is what I always use.
Both of you, and in fact all S-Type owners, might want to dribble some penetrating oil on those cross brace bolt heads and let it work in for a few weeks. They are unfortunately too long and the threaded end sticks out below where it can get rusty.

Yes, understood you meant anti-seize.
Good tip to start weeks in advance with penetrating oil. I am a big fan of “Kroil” products.