UK XJ6 Sport - Stuck in Park

Hi,
I am stuck in park after leaving it parked for a few weeks. The battery is new and had a full charge at the time I tried to drive it again. I have read some of the suggestions on what to do but cannot access the parts named in them. Could anyone tell me how the gear change selector plate is removed so that I can access the solenoid and micro switches below it? I have removed the 4 star screws from the selector trim plate but the mechanism will not lift far at all.
Cheers

What is an XJ6 S type?

It is the XJ6 Sport model in the UK

In that case, you have posted to the wrong forum. Presuming this is a pre-1988 model, you’d want the XJ forum. If later than that, you might want the XJ40 forum or even the X300 forum.

I have been assured by the local dealership that it is an XJ- 6 Sport and is also defined as the XJ 6 Sport in its original vehicle registration log book (V5) which came with the vehicle.
How can it be anything else?

If you include the year of your car someone can direct you to the correct forum for your car.

What year was it manufactured? There are major differences between a S111 XJ6 and the next model (s) also AKA XJ6 but more commonly known as XJ40, X300 or X308

Or you could just post a photo of the car, preferably the rear end showing the model lettering.

It could be a lot of things, but I very much doubt it is an XJS or XJ-S - the two definitive names for the cars discussed in this forum. There is a 6 cylinder XJS/XJ-S but it is never referred to as an XJ6, Sports or otherwise. One very big clue would be the number of doors. If you have more than two, then you are definitely in the wrong place.

As far as I can recall, the XJ6 Sport was a variant of the 1987-1994 XJ40. So I’ll move this to the XJ40 section.

…post the Model Year or VIN that will tell us what this car is!

Raymond - cutting to the chase, does your car have the plastic plug in the gear selector as highlighted here:

Beneath this plug is an override for the park position. Use a medium slotted-head screwdriver to remove the plug. You can then insert a #2 Phillips screwdriver - or just a length of metal rod - and press straight down to release the lock and allow you to move the gear selector lever.

1 Like

There is a switch on the break pedal that releases the gear interlock when you press the break. This sometimes fails.

1 Like

Yes its one of two things…
The safety switch connected to the brake pedal…turn the key on or start then SLAM DOWN on the brake pedal with your foot as the button gets stuck
It should do it.
If not
Second remove the star screw and as stated and with a little flat screw driver flip the tab…
Good luck either way.
gtjoey1314

1 Like

Always good to update your Jag-Lovers info with location and year and model of your car to get the best assistance on the forum.