Undecided and still looking-need some sage advice on buying

Having owned 4 E-types in the past, (one brand new), I once again am thinking of buying another. A roadster would be nice, but a coupe or 2+2 will do. I just want to have one again. Is that too much to ask or think about? A 68 2+2 has come up, and the price is very attractive. The engine block is missing, having succumbed to some horrible death. I have a donor engine in a 73 XJ6, and it is a low-miler and will fill the spot in the car. Not unexpectedly, the car has sat for at least 20 years. OK, enough said. What are your thoughts?

Hi Ronald, having restored 2 E types, you will have to put a lot of money into that car to make it safe and reliable. All rubber at this point has perished so…that means the IRS mounts,brake cylinders, brake hoses, brake master and servo, clutch master and slave, steering rack mounts and control arm bushings, ball joint gaiters, the list goes on. Then there is the unseen rust and body work. I would not put that much money and effort in a 2+2 as they are the least valued of the series 1 or 1 and 1/2 cars. Look for a running, driving car in your price range.

Regards,
Allen

1 Like

Ronald, not sure what you are asking.
You need to decide what you want. If someone came to me saying they wanted to buy an XKE- like you are doing- the last thing I would suggest is to get one without an engine. But it is something you are considering.
My thoughts are to buy a nice car that is running and complete, looks good. No rust or repaired. It will still need enough work to keep one busy for awhile.
Question is- what are your thoughts. Do you want a basically ready to go driver? Show car? Five year project?
Tom

1 Like

I think I am having Deja Vu all over again.

8 Likes

Last fall I bought a E-Type just to keep my sanity during the pandemic. Still not sure that worked.

It sort of fell in my lap and though it wasn’t cheap it was a solid Series 2 OTS in ‘used car’ condition. It ran well enough that I felt sure nothing terrible was going to happen soon so I chose to believe that I will never lose money on the car provided I do not have it painted and the engine holds together.

Alas, the ‘price of entry’ has gone up in recent years but the game is the same. Enjoy the car and if money matters don’t pour stupid amounts of cash into it. IMO, to do that you need to find a pretty good one in a popular model.

1 Like

Ronald
Love you but this dream has to come or let it end……
Since your last post
Old Jags are tanking due to death , old age , no one to fix them……
Spend the money NOW for a restore car
Your in the 50 to 120 grand range depending on series
A restoration project will cost you double a restored car today
Good luck
Buy something and enjoy life !

2 Likes

So what you are looking at is a car that hasn’t run for 20 years and has no engine.

Questions to ask yourself.

• are you mechanically competent to go through the car and get it running again?
  • are you prepared to spend the considerable time to do this?
  • do you have the parts you will need to convert your XJ6 motor to suit the E type? Some, like the sump and the oil filter housing may be hard to source.
  • what else is missing?
  • is doing all of the above work economically and personally (time taken to get it running) viable?
  • for the up front financial savings, is buying this car rather than a complete, drivable example a good option?
1 Like

Is your heart in it?

Of course you have to save the XJ6. I wouldn’t dare to destroy a good car if there is an abundance of cheap engines from donor cars to swap in.

Ok so let’s get to the point here …… how much are you prepared to spend in total for either a good runner or a resto job including to costs of restoration……. If you want a project and have the time and money ….go that way. I can tell you for sure having built cars from the ground up that a minimum of $100k will be required for the restoration plus your labour plus the original rust free car $75k

Verses $175k car which will buy a beautiful sorted driver or $120k a nice runner all sorted

1 Like

Please educate me on how to sink north of 80.000 euros into a rust free car sans engine when doing it at home.

If this story goes down
I want to spend 20 grand total
It ends up like all the rest
The person dies
The wife says take this crap away and then Dave Welsh or Wayne Carini pay 10 grand cash to haul it away

Well let’s do it properly as I would assume that a proper restoration is done… parting out jobs you can’t do yourself.
Engine purchasing rebuild assuming it’s a xke engine complete with 3 su’s $15 for engine $ 8 for top and bottom end plus ancillaries ( diy) $2 for proper total rebuild.
Drive train rebuild gearbox $4 diff pumpkin $1
Replate all chrome $6
Paint job properly done $35
Wiring looms and new lights $3
Good quality interior $15 fitted
New shocks all round $2
Tyres and new wheels $5
New spinners and hubs $2
Replacement or refurbished brake and clutch parts $3
Plus all the stuff that gets replaced along the way

Doesn’t take long if you do a proper restoration

If you want to just get a car going that hasn’t been on the road for 20 years you can probably do it for $35-40 k …… but no value will have been added and your labour will be almost the same

These are my experiences all costs in $A

1 Like

Wise words from one who has been there and done that.

Interesting…. With no where to go no where to spend money jags here are through the top

Only you can say if you’re up for a project of that scope. It will be a good year of work I’m guessing before you go through all the systems and correct all the deficiencies.

1 Like

For me it’s about the process ……. If your not into it…… don’t do it!

1 Like

Well, we can all assume that this is a project not worth doing, and I just wanted some input from those that have been there, like me, and I had a 65 roadster that I bought wrecked, and I spent three years and countless hours putting it back to being roadworthy. I was not satisfied, and sold it for about what had in it, assuming my labor was at one dollar per hour. I am at the point of seeing what fifty thousand will buy. I don’t think I want to dive into a giant project at this point in my life, and will have to buy a complete car that I can drive home from where I bought it. I want to thank everyone for all the input, as it finally got me to where I needed to be on this. THANKS!

2 Likes

That is exactly what I have just done with my most recent resto.

3.8 Coupe, admittedly hideously rusted, in pieces. The rust added $30k in panels and extra work.

Purchase price $AU55k. Total cost for restoration $110k including $65k for body work, $15k for trim, Around $10k for machining, plating, blasting etc. $20k in parts, sundries.

Estimated 1000 hours of my time.

Total cost $165k. Car has agreed value rego for $200k.

I loved every minute of it.

2 Likes

That’s not what we’re saying. Any project is worth doing, it’s just whether it’s worth it to you.

This is what I started with for the resto described above:

2 Likes