Under dash panels/Rexine?

I’m finally buttoning everything up. The aluminum under-dash panels have a fabric like covering, which is flaking off. Think it was called Rexin(e). Anybody have a source or recommended substitute?

Woolies trim used to have it.

Don’t know if this helps:
https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/rexine-sheets-18323167488.html
Cheers,
LLynn

In the past i’ve covered the panels with cloth with that simple weave pattern then painted them till you can still see a bit of the cloth show through like the original. Book binders used to use that material on their cheaper work.

Phil.

Black marine vinyl from the local fabric store works well.

Thanks, all. Yes, it does look like the cloth on old book covers. No wonder I had the urge to eat the stuff that was flaking off the panel. I’ll try a craft or fabric store. (Woolies doesn’t list it on web site).

Eric,

The equivalent to Rexine is available at:
https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/vinide-leather-cloth-rexine.php

Tadek

The material covering the under-dash panels on my car has no texture/grain. It looks like the plain cloth book covers from the 40s and 50s (before the fake leather as on a three ring binder). I guess it’s not Rexine. I’m sure it’s original. I’ll find some similar cloth, glue it on and paint it black. Thanks

Try asking at a local book restorer. There you can at least see if the stuff matches what is on your car.

Good idea…I shall. By the way, my spouse says it looks like oil cloth.

1 Like

Thought I’d close the loop on this. After some experimentation, I decided to use VHT brand wrinkle paint (SP201) in lieu of the fabric covering. They’re virtually identical in appearance and the paint will be far more durable. I followed the application instructions on the can, but after the last coat dries to a slight tack, I heated the parts with a heat gun. The correct texture will pop out at a high temperature. Stop applying heat when the texture gets where you want it. This preempts more prominent wrinkling which occurs in the normal cure process. You want a grainy “crackle” versus "wrinkle’. look.

I also used it on the flat “pie segment” finishers that cover the lower portion of the chrome finishers at the junction between the dash panel and the cant rails.

1 Like