Underseat Markings

I have read in other posts of numbers or words written on different components of cars, but I have not encountered it on my 68 FHC until recently. When removing the seats to do some repairs on the recline mechanism I noticed a word scrawled on the metal seat base - I can’t make out what it is (or even in what orientation it should be read!). I also noticed that both seats have a pattern of staples where the material is tacked to the wood part of the base - it is in the shape of an M or W. Neither the location or arrangement of these staples seems to be necessary to secure the fabric, so I assume they are intended to represent a letter. Has anyone encountered this pattern of staples? And can anyone decipher the scrawl on the metal base?

David

Here is my seats looked like.
Marco

Dennis.

I also read it as Dennis.

Sure that isn’t a “P”?

Hi, that appears to be vinyl not leather…previous installer?
Regards,
Allen

Could it be Penny…?

1 Like

Money Penny…?

I agree it could be Dennis (Dennis Moore?).

Marco it looks like your staples might spell “GG”. Perhaps the factory upholsterers signed their work with initials in staples.

My upholstery is original, so leather on the seat surfaces and vinyl on the sides and bottom.

David

David I just pulled a set of seats apart from my '67 coupe. They were original, and really worn out. The staples were like wire staples, both thinner and smaller than the ones shown, I suspect yours are more modern - they are like the ones I used to re upholster the seats.

The originals on my 69 are also as you describe.