Universal joint removal

So in a continuing case of “while I’m there” on my rear subframe, I looked at my axles and decided while the u joints appear perfectly functional probably ought to be changed “because race car.”
With some difficulty I got the snap rings out, put them on my cheap o little press and pushed them out. Usually once pressed all the way through I put some vice grips on the cap and pull it the rest of the way and off we go.
There must be some Jaguar trick that I’m not aware of. I’ve pressed both u joints both ways. I’ve hammered it. I’ve even hit it with a torch. I can get that last bit.
What am I missing?

I end up using the cross to push the cups out, just align one edge of the cross against the edge of the cup and tap with a hammer.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to get the cups far enough to let me get the cross out. When I press one cup in to push the cross and the other cup out the cross seems to foul the axle before I get enough clearance on the pressed out cup.

Correct, you need to move both opposing cups out as far as you can then that should give you sufficient wiggle room to just twist the cross so that it contacts the edge of the cup.

1 Like

Watch the video. Even though it’s a job many of us did many times before, he gives very good tips (the critical part is at 8:20 min).

1 Like

I have found if you work them back and forth after a good soaking in penetrant using the vice & sockets method, that seems to ease them enough to allow the vice grips. The ones with a grease nipple, one cap wont go as far, even when the nipple is unscrewed

At least I never had to resort to cut the cross with an angle grinder

1 Like

Success! Thanks for the tips guys. Got me over the hump. Now for the other axle…:smile: