Unusual 140 coupe

I recently sold a 140 coupe and it had an extremely low chassis number (one of the first few made). 30+ years ago I started to restore it but stopped (when the funds ran low) and put into storage till this year. It was a wonderful, rust free, original paint body that I stripped down, epoxy primer-ed, and put away till this year.

Now the unusual- there is no sign of right hand drive access holes on the firewall. On the right side there are no pedal rod holes, no steering shaft cut out, not even bolt mount holes for a high/low headlamp button.

I’ve worked in a Jag rest. shop almost 35 years, so I have some knowledge of the XK’s and thought that they all had the ability to be right or left hand drive. Were any made to be a test car for the U.S. - their biggest market, or Canada? It had a large square Smith’s heater under the dash panels that I had to dis-assemble to remove last from the totally stripped down body. It was prepared for cold weather. I think it was chassis number 14 in the LHD coupe.

Thanks,
Phil.

Phil,

Nothing unusual.

RHD and LHD XK140 bodies were built up from start to be RHD or LHD, so no superfluous pedal holes or steering holes nor dipper-switch brackets.

The CHASSIS were however made common for both LHD or RHD, and just had the required RHD or LHD parts assembled on, to suit required end result.

I am actually going through a 100% exhaustive LHD to RHD conversion now, and fully documenting every minute difference between LHD and RHD.

Quite a bit of sheet-metal work with the body-conversion, but the chassis is straight forward apart from where LHD parts are actually different to RHD parts, such as the brake-pedal and brake-pedal stem.

Bit of work in converting LHD rack and pinion to RHD, but can be done 100% authentic.

Same with the Handbrake Lever and its assembly.

The only thing a little unusual about a very early XK140 FHC is the bonnet centre-chrome strip, and the bonnet assembly itself. LHD No.14 will have the early bonnet.

Roger

Roger Payne

8 Beggs Place

MACARTHUR ACT 2904

Australia

Email: mailto:rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au rogerpayne@bigblue.net.au

Yes, I have a LHD Mark V and XK120, both with no holes whatsoever in the scuttle for RHD, but the Mark V has an unused hole pattern in the floor for a RHD accelerator pedal. It was covered with Mutocel.
Both chassis frames have all the brackets and other welded sockets and attachments for both RHD and LHD clutch mechanisms and brake master cylinders.
The Mark IV was the first model Jaguar offered in LHD, and the clutch and steering rearrangements required might be described as something out of Rube Goldberg or Heath Robinson.
The Mark V was the first model specifically designed to be built in both LHD and RHD. The 120 chassis was mostly copied from the Mark V.

Rob . Yes we are restoring a LHD DHC MK IV at present , and stripped down it is obvious that the chassis used RHD ones converted Various holes fr RHD fittings have been welded up, And frankly the quality of the 'conversion ’ is pretty poor The steering column mounting brackets doesn’t line up accurately to the chassis. and various aspects of the clutch mechanism defy belief and seem designed to wear quickly. I presume the experience with LHD pushed the change to hydraulic operation of the clutch.

Thanks, Roger. Over the years, i’m starting to mix the XK’s and E’s in one melting pot called my brain. You’re right about the chrome bonnet strip. It took a lot to take it apart, re-chrome the center, and replace properly. Another around #100 had the common bonnet. I think I had a master cylinder for a big RHD Mark that’s the mirror image of a LHD part. Or maybe my brain’s acting up again.

Thanks,
Phil.

I suppose in a RHD country that did not receive a lot of cars initially, but wants them later, one might see a lot of cars that were originally built LHD but later brought in and converted, and these might have the holes on both sides of the scuttle.

Conversely, in my LHD country we occasionally see RHD cars such as Silver Clouds that were also offered in LHD, but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of urge to convert them. Plenty of TCs for example but no LHD conversion is ever seen.

I was at a high class concours last Sunday and overheard a debate about a LHD Silver Ghost not being original, but then it turned out to be a Springfield Ghost so it was accepted.