Unusual P100 Lenses

I’m just curious about the P100 lenses in 1938 DHC 46179, which is at a dealer in Belgium.
https://www.oldtimerfarm.be/en/collection-cars-for-sale/4392/jaguar-ss-2-litre-drophead-coupe-38.php#gallery-1
and also on ssjaguardata.com
http://www.ssjaguardata.com/cars/detail/?car=46179

511636a

They are described as P100DB. Does anyone know anything about these?
Special for export? Dealer option? Aftermarket?

They are nothing like mine.

That car also has what appears to be a lube data plate on the scuttle.
511769a
Is that something else I’m missing and supposed to have? I don’t have any holes there for it.

Hi Rob,

Your P100 lenses are correct and the lubrication plate is correct beside the steering column support. The chassis plate should be on the driver’s side vertical of the scuttle.

The white DHC was/is Tony Wraight’s car. You will find quite a lot of non-standard items on that car.

Peter

The first pic. The lenses are bulls eye lenses, doubtlessly not the official name, but they were on WO Bentleys 9 1920s ) so a bit early for SSs.
There is a pair on the Van Den Plas bodied SS100 but thesew ere put on presumably as a lazy option when it was restored.These look even worse as the car didn’t have P100s but smaller QK 596s and now looks decidedly odd. like an owl. The second pic is the lenses in P100 R on SS saloons
There was sad to be a variation about 1940 with a different number of flutes but there is inconsistency between the Jaguar parts book and the Lucas one.
On the P100R shown, the ring that the tripod is mounted to ,is where you will need to look carefully for fatigue cracks…but as always, there is a fix.
It’s pleasnatly surprising how well the reflectors respond to polishing with Silvo and a soft cloth. The last apir i though I would have to have re-silvered but with

a little time and gentle polishing , came outclose enough to perfect.

Ok thanks. It looks like those bulls eye lens lights have an extra bulb inside above the main bulb, like it was meant for a parking light or daytime running light or something.

I’ve looked carefully and find no holes in a rectangular pattern for a lube plate anywhere on the scuttle, so I’m going to conclude that my car never had one.

I see that 46179 has the front axle and shock links painted white or some light color anyway, not black. Could that be correct, or is it another case of restorer’s disease, or like mine where somebody got slap happy with pale green (painting over the dirt)?

Tony loved gilding the lily as you can see with his velvet trimmed tool tray and flashy tools and pink steering wheel. If you want your car to look original then I would ignore Tony’s car.

Peter

Ha, ha. He and a PO of mine, birds of a feather.

Maybe he painted his bathroom and had some paint left over. :laughing:

Ok I’ll make the axles and shocks black.
Steering, brake rods, radiator and gearbox too.

Did I mention the yellow fuel tank and engine?

Is it correct that there are two versions of the fluted lens.
P/N 506508 11 1/4" (for bottom hinged P100L)?
P/N 503778 10 15/16" (for top hinged P100R)?
Being a different OD could they have a different number of flutes?
Regards, Graham

I see Allan Crouch on page 172 implies the lube plate first appeared with the Mark IV.

John Clucas’ excellent book on SSs shows a winged logo SS lube plate with the note that they appeared to come in with the change from the hex logo to the winged logo. Originally the lube infor was incorporated in the ID pla
The 1940 had the curved lube plate.
I suspect the they didn’ waste much time of corporate staff meetings about where to place the plates

Two different cars, both I believe are '39 one being 2 1/2 and the other a 3 1/2, with the lube plate.

I wouldn’t take everything in Allan’s book as gospel.
Here’s the plate on my January 1939 car.

Peter