Up coming auctions, time for newbies to jump in!

Fred Simeone is having another auction at the museum ……
1968 E TYPE CONVERT with original hard top , paperwork, one owner ….estimate 25 to 35 grand!
Stalupe is dumping 120 cars from his collection later in the month as well.
After our lively discussion after Monterey, if you want an ETYPE for 30 cents on the dollar…NOW IS IT!
Jump in , spent some bucks and join the tribe!
We are going back to a hobby not a investment retirement policy…
Lets have fun!
GTJOEY1314

$100k for a larger garage, Joey. I’m out!

That’s THE PROBLEM…its like looking at a big bowl of ice cream…
Hopefully YOUNGER new enthusiasts will come into the picture.
GTJOEY1314

I put the car tires on dollys…moved everything else out to a new $2K pre-fab barn, …rolled cars to sides…room for one more !!! yaaaaay !! Nick

The 1968 etype is listed at Bohnams…
Go for it baby!

If it is this one (and I think it is):

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25222/lot/320/

I would be surprised if the hammer dropped at the pre-auction estimate of ‘US$ 20,000 - 30,000’.

Perhaps they set the estimate low on a no reserve auction to stimulate interest?

1 Like

“As it was not driven when the weather turned, the body is very solid.”

About as solid as Swiss cheese!

3 Likes

Looks a rough old thing indeed! Can spot filler ( bondo) in places. And is that really original Primrose? Looks like a flesh colour to me.

Rough…zoom up the speedo, it says 74,000 miles…on it.

Yeah, if you can see that much rust bubbling through, you don’t want to look inside those panels.

…not for the faint of heart, or skinny of wallet. Like Geo say though, I’d be surprised if it fetches as little as $30K…

I think a hair under 50?
Sadly the parts separated could be actually worth more.
Hard tops are around 3,500 alone, maybe 5 grand restored.

I think that may be an aftermarket hardtop? I’m going to be an outlier on this one, I think the 20-30K estimate is pretty reasonable for a car as sadly neglected as this one. JM2CW
Cheers,
LLynn

Just to be clear, I agree that valuation is reasonable.

But I won’t be surprised if bidders with unreasonable expectations produce a much higher result.

2 Likes

OMG! Was this car stored under water? It has a lot of rust that is visible so there must be a ton more you can’t see until you disassemble it. Accident damage may also hide frame damage as well. Is this a total frame off restoration for over $100K or what? I know enough to be dangerous when it comes to E Jags but mama didn’t raise no fool! I would pass unless you can either do the work yourself, competently or you got mega bucks to spend.

Thanks for reminding me to follow up.

That E-Type sold for $52,640 including the premium.

1 Like

So high 40s that’s about right …

After my rebuild on this 67 coupe

I will never buy a project again

The lack of quality replacement parts, service centers that don’t service and maybe one generation left of people who care.

It’s not worth buying a project

A complete car with someone else’s work is under 100 grand on a coupe and a little ove on a convertible

On average repeat on average

My 67 is bone dry and every part came off by hand, I’m having my fun but dropping off a part for repair or service then they vanish for months

I’m not going to go through that again

And again repro parts are beyond terrible

So someone got a nice car with rust

For that price I would buy a new shell for 15 grand and restore everything and the tag from the old

It would be the best way!

Gtjoey1314
Ps I was dead on on my prediction from first couple of posts
Gentlemen other than an Etype…if you dont want to be buried in it now is the time to sell
It’s never going back up Hershey was a blood bath
Now I’m not including d type c type or like that
But XK Xj xjs mark 2 I have them al
Enjoy it or dump it. They won’t be in favor much longer

Sorry, Joey, we all have different outlooks, and I certainly do not share yours. Per your postings, you seem to see so much of this hobby about the values and the auctions. And the blood bath. Does a drop in prices necessarily mean a “blood bath?” Or does it just mean they were over valued in the past? What would an E-Type cost if it were made today, but as it was back then. Mostly no AC, no PS, no remote locks, no computer engines, no navigation, etc.? $50,000 to $70,000. Were any of these cars ever $200,000 cars? Or were they only $200,000 investments? What would they be as five year old used cars. $20,000? And to have a nice E-type, must it be restored to top level? No. That does not mean I have anything against major restorations, but that is not the only way. They do not have to be a major project. From what I can tell from your project, you had a very nice car to begin with. From what I can tell, were it mine, I would have spent very little on it and just drove it. Personally, I would have preferred to keep a nice original more original. But nothing wrong with what you are doing. But to me, it is a used car . A sunny day fun used car… but a used car.
Tom

4 Likes

Must… control… fist… of… sarcasm.

1 Like

Where? Several years ago I checked with Martin Robey and they wanted $40K for a new shell. Just the shell.
Edit: Just checked MR and here is what they list:

Still about $40K for just the shell (no doors or boot lid or…). Doesn’t include shipping. Not cheap.