Update on F type battery problems

Certified 2017 Ftype with 12K miles get it home and low battery display on dash. Go to local Jag dealer and they replace battery with new. Two days later low battery display on dash again. When this happens voltage is at about 12.25 or less and stop-start does no work and lights and gauges act up. Fed up with the clowns at Jag dealer I go and purchase a new battery on my dime and install it. Everything is working well for the first and the final test is if there is a voltage drop overnight. The Jaguar labeled batteries are made by Interstate and believe the 2nd one the put in was old stock and defective.
New battery is a Champion with 4 year free replacement and has 900 amp rating instead of original rating of 850 amp. Three weeks with this car and three batteries, not a good start. Jaguar has asked me to rate their service on social media, are they nuts. I gave them one hell of a bad rating they deserved.
Glenn

1 Like

Well I thought the new battery solved problems but not. After a few days the gremlins have returned. Very strange but I know when things are not right.
The four way flasher triangle will stay lit and yellow lights on doors also but not all the time. Will have to take back to dealer, a different one this time.
Glenn

We are very lucky to have in our Club a true Jag nut who is also an expert Electronic Engineer and Automotive Diagnostician, recently 2 guys with late model rear mounted battery vehicles were having a hell of a time with non-start, limp mode and other weird issues

On our ā€œtechnical dayā€ it was shown on the spot that replacing the battery at least temporarily fixed the issue. I cannot remember if they were F-types

I do recall thinking as a trained electronics technician that a battery in the rear and so many computers is a problem waiting to happen

I will attempt to find out what was the situation in respect of those vehicles

Thanks Tony
My 97 XJ6 and 99XK8 with batteries in trunk never had any electrical problems.
Always bought the best quality batteries I could find as replacements.
These new cars are so voltage sensitive and demand more from batteries, yet the battery in the F type is smaller than the one used in XJ and XK.
These cars have systems that always have a small drain on the battery, long gone are the days of letting the car sit for months and expect them to start up. A mechanic friend could not figure out why a new Acura was draining the battery. It turned out that when he went into the house from garage and placed key fob on hall table it was too close to car and car never completely shut down. Mfgs. are cutting back on quality and size of batteries on new cars. Have replaced two batteries this past year that leaked acid and or died
after a year.
Glenn

do you have any updates on what the problem was?
My F type is having similar issues all related to the battery. I have replaced the battery but the issues have returned. My car has gone into limp mode and other weird issues, with almost every warning light on.
Jag cant seem to diagnose the problem.

My battery problems were self-inflicted. I had installed an engine temp monitoring gauge that plugs into OBDII connector. It seems every time something is plugged in it creates charging problems. No longer hook up anything to OBD, and reset the computer by disconnecting battery terminals. There is a Jaguar specific OBD reader that will not interfere with the computer, have not yet purchased it. (icarsoftlr2.0) I now have an extra new $200. battery sitting on the self on a maintainer. I have three Jags all kept on battery maintainers when parked in the garage.
Glenn

Probably not all that relevant, but another data point: On my car the battery suddenly died when the car was about 1 year old. Jaguar replaced it on warranty, and Iā€™ve had no problems since.

Gunnar

Not F type but battery related, I was having trouble with my ā€˜99 XJR and had it into the sparkies, they determined that the earth lead from the battery to body connection was getting hot, it was the braided wire to terminal area breaking down, he ended up reflowing the join with solder.

Company here.ā€¦:grimacing:

Iā€™m new here and not sure how to ask a simple questionā€¦so since Iā€™ve seen you around the most, Iā€™ll ask you!

I bought my car 5 months ago. Got a check engine light. Since I wasnā€™t sure about the last maintenance on the car I got it a full service at the dealers. Good experience- however when I picked her up there was the low battery warning. Never seen it before. Given it was in the shop I thought someone left a light on or something and sheā€™d charge back up. But not so. This morning the low battery light was on again.

Should I return to the dealer and ask for a new battery?

Jenny if you have a battery charger thats compatible with the battery in your car then I would put it on charge for a day and see if the brings the battery back up. It may be that the car was in the dealers long enough without moving to drop the charge a bit too much for the computers to be happy with.

I started this battery thread about a year ago, have learned a lot over this past year.
I am on my third battery in one year. I had been keeping the batteries on a maintainer
battery charger that covered up any battery problems. Battery # 2 failed after not having it on the maintainer for 2 weeks. Two batteries were replaced under warranty and I could have # 3 replaced by Jaguar, but decided to get a better quality higher amp. rated on my dime. Car has been sitting for a few weeks now and voltage is holding. Jaguar batteries are made by Interstate and I believe the quality is hit and miss. When # 2 battery failed it would not hold a charge, common to some AGM batteries. The Optima battery in the E came back to life after being completely flat, that was a few years ago, still going strong.
Glenn

Thanx for the info. Did you get a Champion brand for your 3rd battery?

Yes, new battery is a Champion from Samā€™s Club. I would guess there are other batteries out there of equal or better quality. I have had good luck with Samā€™s batteries in my other cars,
Glenn

Hi and I had the same issue with my 2017 that I purchased this past fall. Took it to the dealer, they checked it out, and replaced it under warranty. If yours is under the 5 yr 50000 miles, should be a warranty item. Just to make sure the battery stays charged while stored for our Wisconsin winter, I installed a CTek 5.0 battery tender. Another suggestion I read, was not to have the fob stored anywhere close to the car. Let us know how things turn out.

Thank you. I just got one. Anything I should know about connecting it?

Great advice!! Iā€™m at 45,000. Iā€™ll go and get a new one!

Nothing that I know of pos to pos neg to neg.

If you donā€™t use a device to supply power to all the electronics, you may lose settings when you take that main battery out. Changing a battery out on an F is not like, for example a 69 E. If your F is still under warranty, take it to the dealer, to make sure itā€™s really a battery issue. If it is, then it should be on them to replace it under warranty. Unless you are totally comfortable with the process, you donā€™t want to fry your wiring harness or some other expensive part. Hereā€™s a link: How to replace your main battery without losing all your memory settings.. | Jaguar Forum

I thought I was so smart in purchasing a battery tender device that you plug into OBD receptacle to save settings. When I replaced the battery on the 2017 F, I used this device and still lost the settings.
Maybe the type that plugs into lighter with 9 volt battery works?
Glenn