Update on my 72 xj6 {[[[{[ rear caliper issue ]}]]]}

The shims either side of the rotors adjust the camber settings, so assuming the new rotors are identical with the old, that shimming will retain your old geometry.

1 Like

Georgie! ok good to know…Cheers

Frank that hose you was referring to is completely stuffed!

1 Like

that rubber hose and the front 2 should be replaced every ten years minimum, they can become constricted enough to inhibit bleeding, even tho the brakes (may) still work

they cost about $15 each

You can also use the cars hydraulic system to expel the pistons from the calipers…not an easy task when they are seized.

To do this, even with IRS out,split calipers.
Use existing brakes lines, connect up caiper, block other hole with bleed nipple (DONT lose 1/8" ball)

you will normally find that if they are seized, you will need to tap the piston BACK into the caliper a wee bit with a copper drift, to break the “seize” if they are really bad, you may need to do this a few times

A brake shop will likely throw them in the rubbish bin and make you order new calipers and pistons before they go to that much trouble

I got mine SS lined for $A66 each

new pistons are about that much, or less, rear discs are very cheap
new caliper prices will make you faint, but you should not need them.

Oh, maaan, is it…:disappointed:

don’t think there seized brake fluid is coming out now got them apart. so will get pistons out with compressed air. without hitting my self in the head with a piston, been ther done that wont do it again.

So lads tonite I took the differential from its house and noticed its a little different from my other XJ6 I did some research its a DANA possi rear end possibly out of a XJS it had two tags 43-15 and the ratio is 2.87…SO question how is that ratio just for cruising I’m not looking for fast just relaxing driving is this going to be ok for my needs??? also the rotors have part number C.20326/C on them I checked xk’s unlimited it says 06-95060 can be used or JA-JLM731 so I need to check this and confirm not unless someone can help me out who knows more then I do…cheers

So a moment I have just figured why they have two big holes on the brake rotor so you can get the caliper of… so I did it the hard way and I was thinking why jaguar designed the caliper bolts this way cause they are hard to get out with spanner I took calipers apart then took off rotors then I took caliper bolts out now I know what the hole is for…still learning at my age.

tony! I cleaned up my calipers got piston put but all of them are unusable some of the stainless steel is pitted. so need to find some more. rock auto seems to be inexpensive. and they also have rabestos rebuilt ones for 55 dollars but there girling.

the originals are chrome plated, not SS, hence the pits.

“new” ones will be the chromed

“rebuilt” pistons SHOULD be SS-lined ?

with regard to getting the stuck piston out, hydraulic pressure is much higher than compressed air, and should remove it, BUT, you will have to knock the piston back IN, to break the seize, soaking the whole thing in penetrant may help

With pitted pistons, Sawyer; inspect the bores for serious pitting also…

With serious pitting the bores should be resleeved, a fairly standard procedure - or replacement calipers used. Girling brakes were used throughout, but ensure you specify the rear(!) calipers for the series 1 - 3. With inboard brakes the calipers are specific for the series - incorporating the handbrake set-up…

You are doing fine…!

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

I cant remember 100% for sure, but thought the o-ring is mounted in a groove in the (rear) caliper (meaning the piston is the sealing surface), so the calipers can be a bit rough and not need sleeving…if I am back-to-front, and the o-ring is on the piston, then they do

Frank no pitting inside nice and clean. the piston where sitting out from there bore. ence the pitting from exposed surfaces, Because the outer seals were dryed and cracked letting the elements in.

Tony the seal for the piston sits on the inside…yes correct.

You are absolutely right, Tony - the seal is against the pistons. However, the pistons still need to be guided in the bores…

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)