Upper ball joint rebuild

Nope: “y’all” is singular: “all y’all” is plural.

:grimacing:

Y’all’s means “belongs to all of you”… possessive tense!!!

1 Like

I had a left hand lower ball joint snap on an old Mini traveller (woody with out the wood) luckily at low speed, My own fault, was hearing noises and ignored them :frowning:

I had my Clover valve lapping paste ready to go, and the ball pins taped. The little bit of slight gouging went away quickly with light focused sanding. The finer and finer grades of sandpaper were just the OCD kicking in. The fine grade lapping compound was much more coarse. I tried it on an extra ball pin and upper socket insert. It was fairly rough compared to my #3000 pad results. Only a few minutes for each side. Time will tell after I mic the sockets and get back on the road. Isn’t time just a zen thing anyway.

Thanks for your information.I appreciate the thoughts.

Mike, 1970 FHC

Wigster said: “Yes…late 59s to early 80s, plus Gm pickups.
The BJs were oftimes nonGreasable”

Thanx Dude

Depends how old you are. All perspective I guess.
Some may consider the 1958 Buick Roadmaster Riveria an older American car.
1963 was the beginning oft the 63-70(?) Riveria body style. 64 had a Super Wildcat option 425 CI with two Carter AFB carbs. 65 introduced the hidden headlamps and the Gran Sport. I think they had a variable pitch torque converter which felt like an extra shift. The 66 Olds Toronado and 67 Cadillac El Dorado shared the Riveria body shell. I like the 67 El Dorado. For an older car, the 57 - 58 Eldorado Brougham, Handbuilt in the US would be something.

Okay, okay, TMI. And to much time on my hands. Traveling with my wife as she is working. Thanks for indulging me. I like old cars. I had a 1954 Hudson Hornet with twin H power a long way back.

Is this off topic?

Keep smiling,

Mike 70 FHC

1 Like

Did you use a lot of baggy’s? I rely on parts diagrams and published restoration photos to get a clue. It also depends who worked on that particular area that day at the factory, it seems. A neighbor found a factory assembly manual for his 1965 Corvette. No joy on one for the E-Type, I guess. Keep at it and I’ll do the same.
Reviewing several forums has been very helpful. I just dropped the engine and trans to figure out the A/C fitment. More room to work.

Keep smiling,

Mike 70 FHC

I don’t think such a thing exists. The parts manual and the exploded diagrams in the catalogs are about as close as it gets.

Yeah, I’m a dreamer. Besides, the joy comes from figuring it out and sucess.

Okay, back to topic. The parts list shows a rubber sleeve as part of the upper ball joint assembly. SC Parts UK is the only supplier I’ve found addressing this part. But not available. I’ve contacted them and await their reply. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike 70 FHC