Upper ball joint woes

I am having the devils own job compressing the spring and shims in order to replace the Circlip. The shims keep getting caught in the circlip groove and my various tools for compression are not very effective. I would welcome any tips to get this somewhat simple task completed. Currently the upper wishbone is off the vehicle .

Try this great tip with a caucking gun:

Thanks for the reply. I have actually tried that as I picked up that trick on YouTube but my caulk gun slips. Maybe a try another. The issue really seems to be the shims are just too wide diameter .

It’s easy enough to find out if the Shims are too large in diameter, simply offer them up to the bore of the Ball Joint Bore of the Upper Wishbone, with the Spring and Cup omitted. If they drop into the bore, then you simply need to find a better method of assembly than your current method. Use Grease to centralize and stick them to the underside of the Top Plate. The Top Plate is a close running fit in the bore and therefore, should keep the outer circumference of the shims clear of the bore in the Upper Wishbone if they have an OD smaller than the bore of the Wishbone.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

valve spring compressor.

However, the ball joint I got simply would not go into the wishbone. I had to send it back

1 Like

It’s rather unbelievable that manufacturers of this type of part can get it wrong. The Ball Pin and Hemispherical Cup, are two of the easiest type of parts one could get to run on a CNC lathe. When setting such parts up, its typical to run the first parts with a Tool Offset such that will cut the Ball Pin oversize and the internal detail of the Cup undersize. This is so that you can dial the Tool Offset in to have even the first completed part off the machine in tolerance.

Tool Wear on this type of part is very predictable and the operator would have ample time to measure the OD of the Ball of the just machined part before the finishing tool operation of the part currently being machined and to adjust the Tool Wear Offset if required. On such a part, I’d expect 100% of the parts to be in tolerance. Yet, they can’t get it right. Either they haven’t a clue, or don’t give a stuff about Quality Control.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

Not within a bull’s roar of QC…:wink:

3 Likes

Hello Paul,
I couldn’t have said it better myself.

Regards,

Bill

1 Like

Perhaps a case of wrong part in the correct bag?

Hello Les,
If so, then they do it often. It’s the same part for all E Type Jaguars, therefore, it’s not a case of mixing up the Series parts and other Jaguar parts for this area are quite different. No, I think its a case poor manufacturing standards.

Regards,

Bill

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the replies. I got the job done by using the original shims which are just a bit smaller in diameter and using my side valve spring compressor !