Upper Control Arm Poly Bushing Lube

Forgive my ignorance, but where do i put the special synthetic lube for my upper control arm polyeurethane bushings?

I assume outside the metal sleeve that goes inside the bushing? How about the shoulder that fits inside the control arm? I’m not sure how this bushing will pivot with poly.

And do i put some regular grease on the bolt that the metal sleeve slides onto?

Thanks!

I would use something like copper slip on the bolt and as far as the poly grease, anywhere it is in contact with anything else.

1 Like

Thanks, i considered that, but the little packet that came with it is not much. I think i have more synthetic grease somewhere.

You should trial fit the sleeve and see if it’s able to rotate freely on the shaft when you tighten the retaining nut. My logic says that it would not as it would wear too fast and that the rotating action is happening between the bushing and the sleeve.

Isn’t it the same thing, except the larger outer diametre has more bearing surface?

I’m pretty sure that the bushing is a press fit in the control arm.

Probably correct thinking back to the bushes I did on my ‘S’ type about a year ago, I think the sleeve is trapped.

Thanks for the feedback, I will grease everything that I think can move, can’t t hurt…
I’m sure these will last longer than the URO junk.

Ok, finally got around to upper control arm bushings. The URO bushings i put in there only 1+ years ago, half of them had sheared off!

Very easy putting poly bushings in, and they should last longer! I noticed no difference in drive, although i have Bisltein shocks, so already have a sporty ride.

This winter i will be adding matching poly lower control arm bushings.

You’re drivin’ that thing too hard, Greg!

Too many potholes and road construction!

Hey, I’m not sure, but after replacing my upper control arm bushings, my front end doesn’t sit too high anymore? The reason 5 out of 8 URO bushings tore, i may have torqued them too much? 50 ft lbs is called for, but back when i installed the UROs, i forgot to lower torque for anti-seize. Should have been 40. Could they have been too tight? I noticed the metal sleeves for poly are much longer than the shorter stock ones. So maybe my wishbones were hanging up causing car to sit 1/2" too high? Or is this impossible?

I can’t see how the different material, or torque value of the upper control arm bushings could affect the ride height… but I could be wrong. If anything, my logic says that a softer material would make the suspension sit lower rather than higher due to more compression by the cars weight.

When you torque the nut you basically bind the inner metal tube to the control arm support, 40 ft lbs or 50 ft lbs will not make any difference, the compression of the bushing is determined by the length of the metal sleeve. When torqued, the sleeve is stationary and the bushing rotates around it.
The URO bushings split because of the bad quality rubber. Mine did the same…