Upper steering column movement

I have just replaced the “elastolan” bushes in the upper steering column. (Series 1 4.2 non collapsible) All cleaned up and turning nicely now. The old ones were hard and broken. I have read not to put anything to lubricate or a little silicon grease only. What is best? My other concern is I have noticed on re-assembly the inner column can just slide up and out of the housing only limited by the universal joint at the base. When in position the horn and earth contacts line up but I’m not sure if this is ok and wonder what locates the inner column to stop it moving up. ( towards the rear). Indicator stops and inner sliding column seem to work fine but I am not confident it’s right. Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Somehow your photos haven’t loaded ….try again to show us please

Thanks Danny. I think the photo is there OK now. This photo shows the inner column about an inch out. It slides in fine to engage the tang with the plastic indicator ring but also just slides right out. My concern is what, if anything, secures it in position.

on the other side of that clamp held in my two bolt/screws is a threaded “stop nut” with a raised head. the raised head fits up against and half under the clamp which prevents the nut from backing out. The nut doesn’t have to be very tight to be effective. The stop nut rides in a recess of the inner shaft. This limits the the shaft’s movement and retains it

See bills post he has just encounter this issue

Thanks Bill I appreciate the response. I know about the other sides raised plug/ nut and it’s between the 2 clamps so cannot turn and how it retains the inner telescopic shaft. That all works fine but my concern is the main inner shaft that turns and fits directly in the bearings in the outer housing. It slides in from the top but can easily slide back out from the housing thus the earth contact, slip ring contacts are miss-aligned and indicator ring on the housing does not engage. The car is being painted at the moment and I may be overly concerned about something really basic which will be obvious on re-assembly. The unit was seized and grubby on disassembly and I fear I have missed something and really appreciate any advise or explanation.

Thanks Danny. I have responded to Bill and appreciate any advice you can give.

The pinch bolt in the universal joint at the base of the inner collumn passes through a cutout in the inner collumn, which prevents the inner collumn from being withdrawn even if it’s not tightly pinched.

1 Like

Bill just going back to your movement issue on the sliding inner ….I got hung up yesterday when adjusting the indicator switch and had the slide stop moving altogether…. Turned out that one of the 2 screws on the pawl to turn off the indicator was fixed against the inner column ….I’d picked up the wrong screw….too long!

1 Like

Thanks Randall
I appreciate your reply.

1 Like