Upper steering column removal - '68 or SII

Try Borgeson. You’ll have to measure and count the splines;

https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/home.php?cat=2

Hi Les im also chasing the same problem as you were,a poor fit of the inner column into the outer…By inserting the inner a 1/4 of a turn clockwise or anticlockwise took up the play in mine,but that means the stop button has to be left out.The other solution i feel would to insert the inner in its correct position at the position i like to have the wheel when driving and TIGHTLY lock the stop button in place with loctite.This would mean the wheel is no longer adjustable,but i think i could live with that seeing the play is removed
What was your final solution JOHN

“…What was your final solution…”

Haven’t done anymore to it yet John, just taken care of all the other items that required/require attention. I can’t see why rotating the column would do much though, surely if there’s enough slack to allow movement that slack would be in all splines no matter how they’re aligned???

I had two problems causing slop on my column.

1. The wire cage that absorbs a front impact and does not transmit it to the steering wheel had distorted and I could not get the bearing free play to zero. So I tightened a hose clamp around parts of the cage to compress it to its original shape. Then I removed clamp.

2. The two bolts clamping the upper u-joint did not have lock washers or nyloc nuts. These would loosen slightly causing about a half inch of free play in steering wheel.

Dennis 69 OTS

Les thats what i would have thought,but the play becomes zero when the inner shaft is moved.Like you i have a new steering rack and no play in universals etc…Ive decided to reassemble with the inner shaft locked into place with the stop button.ie no steering wheel adjustment.Im the only one ALLOWED behind the wheel anyway.The po may have had a similar situation as upon close inspection (just now)of the groove in which the stop button fits there are marks showing where it has been locked in place in one position.When im back on the road ill let you know if i fixed anything(or not) JOHN

Are you by any chance missing the split collets?
They clamp the splines together when the adjustment ring is tightened.
They are easy to loose.
https://www.sngbarratt.com/English/#/US/parts/0321af51-ad15-4b1f-9169-d34d4e1f0f35?fromList=E-Type%20%2F%20XKE(3)%20>%20E-Type%20S1.5%202%2B2(78)%20>%20STEERING%20COLUMN%20Assembly(22602)&fromCategory=Node%20Split%20Cone,%20On%20Inner%20Shaft,%20Seating%20Steering%20Wheel(Node%20Id%202439760)

Hello Dennis,
It doesn’t actually work that way. The Lower Part of the Steering Column Housing is securely bolted to the Tub; the upper mounting bracket is so constructed that the column housing can move axially. Therefore, the collapse of the Upper Column is from the Top down.

The Collapse protection comes form the telescoping Lower Steering Column. The two components of this assembly are held in axial place with nylon/plastic shear plugs.

Regards,

Bill