Upper steering column threads

Hi guys,
I need to rehab the threads on my upper steering column, the ones that the nut screws down on to fasten the steering wheel. Anyone know what the thread callout is on that?

Thanks,
Jim

No takers? It looks to be 11/16-26 which actualy exists as a BSC - British Standard Cycle thread and there is a die out there for $60 but I don’t want to buy that without being sure it’s correct. Options are limited, a new shaft is $250. I do have a new nut ordered and if I am lucky it will screw on but I am never that lucky.

The damper threads in an HD8 vacuum chamber are 11/16-24. You could try screwing one on the shaft to see how it matches. That’s also a standard size.

I have a set of thread files. They come in very handy for all kinds of repair where you don’t have or don’t want to bother with a die.
Lang Tools 2573 3-Piece Thread Restorer File Set , Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TMEXTQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9SEA1XZ3FJDZVA06MY0R?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thread files are worth looking into, I don’t have a set, maybe it’s about time I got one. A friend has a spindle die set which had 11/16-24 but it didn’t match up. I’ll see what happens with the new nut before I panic completely. But in the meantime if anyone can confirm exactly what it is I would be most grateful.

BTW I think it’s that stamped steel retainer that screwed up the threads. If only I had used some blue Loctite the last time I had it apart.

I measure 0.682 OD and 28 TPI with my thread gauges. So I’d call it 11/16-28. I didn’t look up to see if that is a standard size though. Obligatory picture:

Edit: MSC has a die
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/03936887

Rick OBrien
65 FHC in FL

3 Likes

Someone does make a die that size.

1 Like

Ah ok, thanks guys that is very helpful. You know I think that stamped retainer is the thread damaging culprit. My advice at this point is to use some blue Loctite on the nut and put the retainer in a drawer for safe keeping.

Get a new nut, cut a slot through one side and prise it open a bit so it slips easily over the threads. Find a part of the thread that is good and then clamp it with grips so it grips tight onto the threads. Put some oil on it and wind it off. It should cut a new thread like a die would on the damaged portion.

2 Likes

Sneaky. I like sneaky. :laughing:

1 Like