US Left side defroster pivot ..broken,.. part in there somewhere

89 XJ6
Us drivers left side defroster vent … its pivot broke the pivot nearest the center of dash. Where did the part fall down to and can it be retrieved prior to attempting a repair?

Ive put a bore scope down the center vent and see the AC evaporator… but scope was hard to control and did not see the plastic piece

my thoughts remove vinyl transition piece on left driver side blower …would the part be accessible from there??

Ive though of a shop vac with smaller tub and hope to suck up the part but have not tried,

Ant thoughts or experience finding the part… once in hand I can more easily decide how to proceed with glueing epoxying it all back together…

Thanks
on small laptop with 1024x768 screen site difficult to navigate confidently

No idea where the part may have gone but if you go the vacuum way cover the nozzle with something like pantyhose (old ones) that the GF, SWMBO or SO will be willing to part with.

While I can’t help you with the repair, sorry, just out of curiosity: How? I just changed my resolution to yours and the site looks exactly as usual, just 4x3 and not as sharp. For the record, even 800x600 is just fine for everything; the only issue is on my iPhone where the text field obstructs everything when typing… was your input field too large?
The shop vac and full blowers might be too weak, maybe a leaf blower would help but it might also tear the whole system apart. If the ducting goes flat as in the series cars, the tab might still be laying in the duct?
If not maybe shake the car and it’ll go to where the condensation drains leave the system, that should be universal…

David

2tonejag, I had the same problem but with both demister flaps. I uploaded two pictures on the old site about the way I fixed it. I couldn’t find the broken pivot pieces either. I don’t have those pics anymore in my pc so I can’t attach them to this mail but you’ll be able to see them at the old site if you click on the pictures, scroll down then XJ40 pictures with image index. The 2 image album is on 2nd page, top row right side. I tried to open the pictures but for some reason I can’t see them. My car is a '94MY and I don’t know if those flaps are the same design as yours.
Joseph

Thanks
Joseph Ill check it our… im in the process of installing a replacement alternator… old version the pivot bolt was a tough nut to crack… when the anemic 3/8 air ratchet could finally spin the bolt then and only then we pried it out…
Will chek out your pics…
Thanks again
Brad

Mr. 2tJag …

Sadly, to repair either the left or right demister (defroster) mechanisms or the center vent vacuum actuator the top of the dash HAS to come out. Sorry but there is no way to work around it. So don’t worry about the broken piece because it will be easily accessible AFTER you remove the top of the dash.

Removing the dash is no small task but it is rather straight forward, not a particularly fun job. If it’s the first time doing this plan on a several hours to get that baby out. Plenty of step by step instructions in the archives.

See your post but images not there
http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap_photo_section_index2.php3

then you picture was possibly moved

http://www.jag-lovers.org/include/iv3.php3?zx=SdADyw4IiM8ED8ZK%2FZfkxwbLDAecnswIywcYtq2j3L1HN6OYvET8PwvO2gpCvAwPi5jc98kfRd3dxDz4QPvS1Qw3CUz81dj998kfQdTHBkW8CxTZ1PdC9kk21doFMQo%2BMdrPBUD2QjzKyw4ExUk21pm8NQJMO6Od9wvMCTCdnsgCBxEEnp%2FPTNAS%2F5iZzgMPDwGWlsYEyTrwoQ%3D%3D

Brad, I can open the album and see the pictures in small size but when I click on one of them, it doesn’t open and it happened to other pictures as well. Hmmm…

When you removed the alternator did you notice the washer that was installed on the pivot bolt and sits between the alternator and the the pivot bolt housing where the bolt screws in. It usually drops unseen on to the floor when the bolt is pulled out. Its important for the alignment,

Funny you should say that yes there was a washer under the alternator pivot bolt bolt head and under the nut… we dropped the nut end washer and had to replace it… drilled hole in bolted on alternator engine mount… squirted in some silicone dielectric grease we will see if long term that prevents seizing… stainless would be an option too bolt was 8mm OD…
Thanks for your concerns and thoughts as for those pics… it appears they may have been moved… odd…
Anyway when all is clean it goes together very easy.

Thanks to all
Brad