Used OTS cover needed for move

Don’t use a blue tarp. I tried it once when moving a trailer and after a hundred of so miles it tore itself apart at highway speed…

@Craig_Balzer can also attest as to why one NEVER uses a tarp, to transport long distances.

They can also damage paint.

Agree with no blue tarp. Even minor flapping of the tarp will wear right through the paint on a long trip and they are not made for endurance at highway speeds.

Rod

1 Like

I used a plastic blue tarp on the 72 Jag when trailering it from Phoenix to COS. Rain threatened and the top was folded up in the passenger footwell.

The tarp had 8x grommets - one in each corner and 4 more in the center of each side.

This is what happens when the loose side of the tarp flaps in the breeze (at 60-75 MPH for 550 miles).

Overview orientation from rear of Jag

That depression is easily the size of a baseball and 1/2 - 3/4 inches deep

Paint/Body man worked miracles repairing that dent (painted but not yet buffed/polished)

/
/

1 Like

Thanks all for the great responses! Keep in mind my car is a non-op total restoration project that has been sitting for 40 years so it already needs body and paint. I’ve already purchased an entire rear tub and boot lid to replace the collision damage that occurred sometime in prior ownership.

My objective in attempting to cover it is to keep prying eyes from seeing things they might want, to keep anything from flying out, and to keep some of the elements (rain, snow, etc) from coming in.

I’ve used tarps / plastic very successfully in the past by using duct tape along all edges along with rope - not bungee cords - to keep it on. Yes, duct tape is not kind to paint, but if the car will be stripped to bare metal, which is what I do for all of my restorations, who cares?

I’ve investigated a tonneau, but I’m totally on board with how they attach and the mods needed to do so. Interesting enough, there are 4 “tonneau clips” already along the back edge of where the top attaches to the body. I need to look into this further. I’m also thinking of simply replacing the top now and hoping it survives the trip.

My other consideration is to remove most if not all of the interior and let it go uncovered. I always hate separating any pieces from the project as that introduces the chance of never being remated should something happen.

Maybe a stupid responce, but did you ever consider using an inclosed trailer… shipped my Etype a 1000 miles… no problem… just a thought