Using an E-Type

By this time in a normal year I have driven my E to various shows events and E-Type specific gatherings, starting in the spring with Goodwood for a track day, through Prescott Hill to a variety of local events such as fetes and steam fayres. This year none of these have happened. No shows, no breakfast meets, no rallies. Yet my E has just clocked up it’s two thousandth mile this year. And none of the trips can be described as a joy ride, they have all been for a purpose which would otherwise have been completed in one of the other cars. This is partly because of lockdown, partly because of the long spell of reasonable weather here in Blighty. (Unlike many of my fellow humans, I enjoy this warm weather. I like being warm. And fortunately, my E also enjoys the warm weather.). It is also partly because I have confidence in my car not to breakdown while many miles from home. I know that other classic car owners do not have such confidence in their cars. One even sold the E he had owned for 40 years because he worried so much about it every time he drove it. A friend who has just bought a 1980s Merc is similarly worried about its reliability.

Maybe if my E wasn’t a bag of nails, but a highly prized and decorated trailer queen, I’d be more concerned about using it as an every day summer driver. But it isn’t, and I’m not.

Despite its frequent use, it still polishes up quite well. If you look closely you will see evidence of carpark rash, and the swirl of micro scratches in the paint, which I could take out with various detailing compounds and mechanical mops.

Or I could use it for the next scheduled outing, going to work as a volunteer gardener for the National Trust on Saturday.

7 Likes

Warm is good: warm and humid… not as good.

F**king hot, and humid? Count me down as not a fan…:grimacing:

Enjoy those warm Blighty trips, mate! You are using the Jag for its best and highest purpose.

“Warm“ is relative. 27 to 32 degrees (that’s 80 to 90 in old money). At 35 (95) I stop what I’m doing and start to look for shade. Humidity is rising at the moment, heading to over 90% when the rain hits.

Standard jokes about how to know if someone’s from Colorado:
-when it rains, we run to the window to look at it:

-when the humidity gets to 30% we start bitching about how “It’s turning into Seattle!”

:roll_eyes:

Back in the day, Tweety got used to shag (American version!) parts, go on grocery trips, and used…like a car.

I have a distinct memory of going to a machine shop to pick up a Jag block and head.

I thought about taking mine out for a blast along the road to Kings Lynn this afternoon but in this heat …think Ill give it a miss - top down my face would get burnt with the sun , top up and its like being in a sauna.
Mine still has the emission ZS fitted and seems to run quite hot . Also warms up really quickly - only 1/2 choke to start and off completely after 1 min .

In the late 80’s, my Series III OTS was the only car I owned.
Daily driver, obviously.

Prior to divorce I had the above-mentioned OTS plus a 2+2. Plus other cars.
I was going for a joy ride in the 2+2 when I was nagged by SWMBO for the third time in two days that she ~NEEDED~ gain or oats or some such feed for her horses. When I was getting the 2x bags of feed, I can assure you I was the only Jag at the feed store among 3 Colorado Cadillac’s (AKA Pick Up Trucks) – Craig

PS - took me weeks to get the last of the oats (or whatever) out for the spare tire bay

1 Like

There. Better. Translation in PM…

:grimacing:

CHRIS. DRIVE ON MY FRIEND…Enjoy the ride.Im with you.
In 5 years not 10the world will be a much different place, I think we will die with our cars, but not much after that.
Drive it while you can.
A trailer queen to where?
For who?
Everything has changed, and the vintage car world is no exception…DRIVE ON…
GTJOEY1314

I have done exactly this in my E when out to pick up the XJ6 head from my machine shop. The owner came out with the head and commented “Not the most practical delivery vehicle, but appropriate in the circumstances”. Paul.

Flower shopping with Ellie