[v12-engine] Cost of a rebuild

HI MG, my valves are from Lanky GRP44 25 yrs ago, they are single piece FORGED Stainless steel.

3MM oversize inlets, 2MM oversize exhausts, no problems with them.

ERIC some pix of inside my engine V12 .

sorry for the 25yr old pic resolution, cameras have come a long way since.
also had my XJS weighed ,comes in at 3400lbs, YUP weight is the enemy of performance car.
MG you may notice the different shape of bowl in piston,vs the factory cast pistons, the curved round bowl seems to be the accepted shape nowadays!!

ron

O car’s weight down to 3400 pounds? That’s good. If I remember you still have A/C and I assume a few other civilities to deal with Texas weather.

I’ve had The XJS down to 2700 and I’m sure if pushed there is at least 200 more pounds to loose. I wish I hadn’t tossed those splash molds awayI bet I could have gotten at least 2 more sets out of themjk

2 Likes

pic of piston 11.6-1 ratio for pre-he V12 , fits ethier side !

Looks similar to half a Rover 2000 piston!

1 Like

I wish I could figure out how to post pictures. I’d show you my Aries spare piston. I used to order 50 pistons at a time and wind up with 4 sets and two spares. By buying that volume I paid $70 a piston & pin or $55 per piston.

That was back in the days I was chasing 700 horsepower at 9000 RPM . Remarkably the bottom end held up but keeping valves from dancing on pistons proved impossible. The first trouble was keepers, Then Valves. If the valve survived the springs broke.

I never did get the power or RPM I was seeking but it’s there. The missing pieces are now off the shelf from people like Rob Beere. Cosworth. Kent or Piper Cams.

1 Like

Have a look in User Guides and How-Tos, there you’ll find: How do I: Add pictures to a post? - #4

Hi Ed,
My brake lights on my jag xjs v12 are not working…all the other lights are working…flashers etc.

I looked at the fuse box under the driver side steering wheel, but not sure…difficult to get to.

Thoughts?

Eric,
I recommend that you post your question to the XJ-S list because you posted it to the V12 engine list and the brake lights are not engine related. I also recommend that you include your model year in your post. The XJ-S/XJS was produced from 1975 to 1996 and there were a lot of electrical system changes during that period.

Paul

1 Like

I am a newbie here and also to the intricacies of the XJSC.
My XJSC has been parked up and not started since 1994 and with the CV lockdown I have finally had some time to start looking at it.
I took a chance and stuck a new battery on turned key to see if it would turn over but just a strong click from the starter motor area and nothing turned.

I did some reading and removed the AC compressor and cruise control bellow and took all 12 plugs out and poured Marvel Mystery oil into the piston chambers. I got 11 out first time and then left for 3 days and then took last one out and left that one a couple of hours and tried to turn manually by the crankshaft bolt. But it was absolutely stuck and would not budge.

I do not know if I need to give the last cylinder time soak and try again or if I have major engine problems.

I am getting the welding and bodywork done on the car and a few guys from the industrial estate have been tuning in. One said the engine is seized and it needs to be replaced. The second guy said I need to take the engine out and get it overhauled as there may be common faults that need to be rectified and that whilst it is out, all looms can be checked and gearbox and clutch plates checked and also engine bay checked and sprayed. The third guy said, just buy a second hand engine and put that. My immediate thought was the fear of getting an engine that might fail shortly after installation which would be disastrous.

I am clueless as to what is best. I just want the option that will last and give me (hopefully) the least amount of problems later down the line.

If the second option is the best, is there anyone who I can take the engine to for it to be overhauled?

Many thank

Jaye

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

You called me last week. I’ll find out today if the guy I mentioned as any engines going spare and how much.

Where are you located ?
I have a slightly modified Jaguar 5.3 liter with a five speed attached with all the fixings to put it in your car. The top end was completely rebuilt. It is currently in the car and runs and drives. It had sat but was started and run by the previous owner.
Contact me off list if you are interested sjniznik@msn.com

Check for a seized mechanical advance in the distributor. This is a very common cause of the engine not running at full strength. That and oil leak repair is likely to be all you need.

Hi

Mine started turning over. It was a bad ground in the boot. All cleaned and turns over.

Thanks

J

Is this engine still for sale?

Did you re-use connecting rod bolts or replace with new?

I sold the driveline some time ago. It is going into a car as we speak.
I do have other engines and five speed manual transmissions. I still have the IRS with the 331 gears. What exactly are you looking for ?

Well the longer story is here: Beginning New Rebuild 1971 S3 2+2

But in short, I am in the beginning stages of sourcing a 1971 etype series 3 v12. I need the engine and I’d like a manual transmission with it.

Are you looking for a coupe or drop top ?
Are you doing a concourse restoration ?

2+2. No not concours. I don’t think it’s worth it because I’ll never have a matching numbers car.

I have a 71 E Type coupe. It is a four speed car but I got it without the motor or transmission and a few other parts. The car needs to be restored. A good bit of metal work. I have sourced some parts. The interior is original and is in pretty good condition. The car is silver over black interior. It is one of the vehicles I bought to be a “retirement” project". My thoughts for it are a later V12 with fuel injection and 5 speed manual or find a salvage F Type V8 and do a full blown Jaguar restomod.
If you are interested I would consider selling the E-Type, motor, 5 speed manual as a package deal.

Stephen