Hi

Can anyone advice the dimension or ID of fuel crossover hose
used on fuel rail of 6.0L V12 please?

The car is 1994 Jaguar XJS v12 with Marelli

Cheers–
xjs v12
Bangkok, Thailand
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

In reply to a message from rzenix sent Fri 8 Nov 2013:

ID is 9.5 mm.

SD Faircloth–
The original message included these comments:

Can anyone advice the dimension or ID of fuel crossover hose
used on fuel rail of 6.0L V12 please?
The car is 1994 Jaguar XJS v12 with Marelli

Jacksonville, Florida, United States
–Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]–
–Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

Visit the Jag Lovers homepage at http://www.jag-lovers.org for exciting services and resources including Photo Albums, Event Diary / Calendar, On Line Books and more !

9.5mm seems small : when I measure the hoses I removed, they’re more like 11mm : would they have stretched this much ?

I can’t check the fuel rails have I’ve sent sent away to get cleaned and painted
(my engine is the same, 6.0 from 1993)

I suspect the number Mr. Faircloth gave you is CORRECT. He did service my injectors and replaced the two hoses on my rail a couple of years ago. Yes, factory 6.0L V12

thanks Steve for confirming : that’ll save a lot of guessing
the hoses were VERY tight on the rail, so must have stretched

I got some 9.5mm fuel hose, and they need some persuasion to get on the fuel rail nipples
I didn’t want to use any kind of lubricant, by fear it could damage the hoses or help them get out later

no picture of the 4th one, but it’s about the same of the others

They’ve been changed before, and the end cups were lost / removed , and are unavailable for a while

I wonder if adding the same worm clip as before would be useful or not, most I’ve read was saying they could do more bad than good

as I send the fuel rails out to be powder coated, I can’t remember is the sensor fitting in the right rail is blocked or not ?
the rail came back like this

Is a bit late now…since the hoses are already fit in place…you can use an FI hose clamp…solid body…not a worm clamp type. The sensor bung is welded to the outside wall of the fuel rail…there is no contact with fuel. SD Faircloth www.jaguarfuelinjectorservice.com

thanks for the pointer, I was looking for “cups” like those fitted by Jaguar, but they are unavailable
you mean such clamps :
https://advrider.com/f/attachments/tapatalk_1487739339722-jpeg.760318/

That clamp looks fine. SD

thanks
those have limited adjustment, and probably won’t work if I try and open them more to get them around the hoses as they are.
SO I’d need to get the hoses out agin, if /when I can get the clamps. I measured the external diameter, which varies between 17.5 and 18mm, probably depending on the amount of stretching of the hoses around the barbs.
16-18mm clamps would be the best, just need to find some now (and a way to put the hoses with less efforts )

Look up FI clamps distributed by Ideal Tridon. Part # 52F1658. They are available at Advance Auto Parts. Clamping range 14mm to 16mm. Those work from my experience. Would be nice to find them in SS. To aid fitting the hose on the fuel rail barb, and only because they are tight, use a tiny wipe of Vaseline on the barb, and maybe run the end of the hose under some HOT water for 30-45 seconds and then shove on quickly. Now obviously the hose clamps need to be on the hose before you fit the hose to the barbs. To position the clamp down at the end of the hose, use a bit of Vaseline on the hose end to make it slippery. When the clamp is in position and tightened, wipe of any extra Vaseline. Gloves help protect your hand and fingers. SD

thanks for the advices : my thumbs still hurt from last fitting
as I’m in France, I probably won’t be able to order from advance auto parts, or delivery times will be enormous
I’ll try and find some locally, and will look for stainless, as I don’ t fancy another go before 10 years

Sittin’ around the design department one day. “What shall we do to piss off the customers this week?”

“I’ve got a great idea! Rather than just making hose fittings in standard sizes of 8mm and 10mm, let’s manufacture a really oddball size. Not even an even 9mm, let’s go really oddball and make it 9.5mm. For no damn good reason at all! That’ll not only piss off a lot of customers, if we’re lucky it might even cause a few fuel fires!”

“Oh, simply awesome idea! You’re overdue for a promotion!”

1 Like

9.5 mm converts to .374 inches. 3/8 is .375. Will a thousandth of an inch cause a leak?

I received the stainless FI clips I ordered
made by ABA in Sweden, for hoses between 16 and 18mm

of course, fitting them needed to cut off and renew the hoses, but my technique improved and it took about 5 minutes to fit the new hoses, using my weight to push the hoses in, while the rail were on a piece of wood to protect the fixings

It was probably some bean counter who discovered he could get the hose for 3p a metre cheaper! And the stupid way they were attached rail? Again probably some stupid “ economic” decision having no basis in engineering whatsoever! We had to suffer this sort of s…t every day back in the late 70s particularly.