[v12-engine] Light engine rebuild

Hi Vikram,

Had a look at the blog. Nice done.

During next days/weeks I will start making some space in the garage and take the engine off the car.

From 0 to the moment I have to take off the heads I think I know or will be able to read most steps.

Anything to remember?

Anything I shall order in advance to get sure I don"t wait after?

Thanks a lot,

Dorin

I miss that car dearly. It was always so reliable to me. I often check craigslist for another S2 XJ. Not that I have the space but if the deal was right, maybe, maybe :slight_smile:

I would first start with making the head removal tool as illustrated in Kirby’s book. As for parts, these are the things I can think of off the top of my head;

• Complete engine gasket set (including MLS head gasket)
  • New piston rings, main bearings, rod bearings, water pump
  • New timing chain guides, tensioner and chain
  • New coolant hose kit, spark plugs, ignition wires, distributor cap, rotor
  • Since yours is an EFI car, you can have the injectors cleaned and flow tested. New injector hoses

For tools, you will need a set of crow foot wrenches to remove some of the hard to access bolts, good torque wrench and something to hold down the piston liners when rotating the engine.

I’m sure there are many other things you will need but this is a good start.

Kirbert or others,

Are the specs for the half moon seals available? Anyone have one un-installed? If Ron is not making these any longer I would like to do a test run of CNC’d half-moons. Would just need dimensional specs. I guess I could just order an OEM one.

What tolerances would be required? Is .05 mm good enough for this part?

Thanks

Ask John_John1: